IGNORED

Anyone running MegaSquirt in their Z?

grannyknot

I don't know what is going on with the audio, sounds like a room full of sewing machines, it is just the stock exhaust system.

DSCN0485.AVI

So Matt says it's ready to go now, he wants me to get rid of the stock bmw idle air control valve and replace it with the stepper motor version from a jeep 4.0L. He says when I get the engine in the car he'll drive up and he can tune it while I drive him back to his shop. SO HAPPY!

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Yeah the great thing about the Jeep IACV is that you can mount it anywhere you want. Though, if you had trouble finding a vacuum port for the brake booster, I think you'll have the same issue for IACV. 

Perhaps this is a good time to put a T into the IACV fresh air hose or make a 3rd port if you have to make a blockoff plate with fittings, and have it go to the brake booster.

Edited by Careless

3 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Curb service?  How did you get that?  Market development?

Actually he just offered it to me, really great guy but I made sure he was well compensated for pulling my arse out of the fire.

3 hours ago, Careless said:

Yeah the great thing about the Jeep IACV is that you can mount it anywhere you want. Though, if you had trouble finding a vacuum port for the brake booster, I think you'll have the same issue for IACV. 

Perhaps this is a good time to put a T into the IACV fresh air hose or make a 3rd port if you have to make a blockoff plate with fittings, and have it go to the brake booster.

The stock bmw IAC valve has 3/4" fittings that plumb right into the ITB intake manifold and is an on/off valve and is very finicky even when it is working perfectly. Now that I'm moving to a stepper motor IAC valve, maybe it will be more forgiving for tapping into the vacuum. There is one small 1/8" vacuum port that I blocked off, it had a 4' tube that lead to the barometric sensor in the far corner of the M6 engine bay. MS has a builtin baro sensor, I don't know if 1/8" tube would be sufficient to supply vac for the brake booster. The best/worse way to test that would be at high speed, high revs with very little vacuum being produced and having to slam on the brakes to see if it passed the test.