IGNORED

OE stereo install 75 280z

Dave WM

Hello,

I didn't know there were the two speaker locations in those back corners;  My back panels are completely solid- no sound holes.

I do have the 2 speakers under the quarter windows.  They mount in those big round holes under the window, and there are 4 threaded holes that you put screws through to hold the speaker.  Then the plastic panel has the upper half of the sound holes and the vinyl panel has the lower half of the sound holes.  The speaker wire goes from the speaker down to the hole at the bottom like your does.  The vinyl panel has a small channel to help hide the wiring.

I added two more speakers in custom boxes  in the back, and the wires were routed along the main harness on the passenger side, under the seat and to the radio area.  I did use the factory radio connector to the fuse box, but only for the power, as  it only has connections for the two factory speakers.

The photo following  shows the panels I have with the sound holes, wire channel and clip slots 280Z speaker Trim panels.jpg

hth

Edited by TomoHawk

1 hour ago, hr369 said:

Yes you can put an aux in on your radio.  You can hard wire it like the guy in this tutorial did. Disclaimer, i haven't done this yet so don't know if it works yet on our hitachi's

You can also use one of the universal line in units that plug into your antenna and send the signal over fm.  BUT yo're still stuck with mono with that radio you have.

ebay link fm modulator

The red with blue is the + for the dial lighting when you turn on your lights at night. The ground is the speaker wire with the stripe on it.

What model radio is that?  I've never seen one that has the red with blue tracer without  a black wire also.

link to aux tutorial

What's really slick is how some people are gutting all the electronics inside their stock radio and putting in modern electronics. The sound quality is much better.

Look at that tiny board in there.

youtube video of upgraded radio

FMR-1 Lincoln.jpg

I thought about the FM signal 3.5 adapter later this morning but didn't realize it would be mono.  Putting new internals would be the thing to do in my opinion.  Maybe later, I use a Bluetooth can speaker with my phone now and can take it from car to car.  It's surprisingly loud and rechargeable through a USB plug.  I'm thinking of wiring one into my orange 240 for charging abilities. 

That's the original radio out of my 01/72.  Hitachi I suppose?

Thank you for your help and ideas, I appreciate that. :)

agrh, I thought the aftermarket plate (no markings but fits the opening) would work while I look for a correct face plate. No joy, the shaft spacing is too wide and I don't really want to muck it up. So Next plan will be to see if I can fab something up whilst I wait for the elusive OE plate. I am thinking of getting creative an making something out of fancy hardwood OR just to skyjunk and see what kind of textured plastic sheet they have. I would really like to put some markings on it for the knobs (tuning balance/volume/tone).

something like that. IIRC Skyjunk had a good selection of the textured plastic. I may go there to find a new JFET anyway. The radio still is having some intermittent issues with the FM front end. I can get it to work by shooting some cold juice on it but its hard to see exactly what I am hitting. pressing the PCB does the same thing. If I had to guess it the JFET, flexing the board or cooling is having the same mechanical effect. I did remove the main radio board (has the IF and all the MPX stuff) and completely reflow all the suspect looking pads (about 50%). Not easy as it was pretty small stuff but not like SMT so doable just need to use a magnifying glass and a fairly small tip on my solder iron. If I go thru the trouble of pulling the FM tuner board, I will just replace the JFET on principle alone since unless I can see a real obvious cold solder joint.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully I got the intermittent worked out. I decided to bite the bullet and get at the tuner board. Pretty scary stuff digging into it that deep having to figure out the dial indicator/5 tuning slugs hardware to free up the board, but finally got there, touched up some iffy looking solder and put back together. Same deal. Take a break and try again, this time the learning curve let me get it apart a lot faster. found some more that I missed, touched those up (5x mag glass and solder station with a small chisel point). Time it worked right away with no prodding of the PCB, In fact prodding did not make it go away which is good since it took prodding to make it work before. So I will let it sit over night and bask in the glory for at least 12 hrs (JIC its not fixed at least I can get a good night sleep thinking it is).

Funny thing is I have another after market brand push button AM/FM stereo that fits better (uses the old face plate with knobs that match the fuction) since I don't have an OE faceplate. The one on the AM/FM 8 track fits perfect.  So I will prob just install that one and someday put the Datsun branded radio in if I ever get a decent face plate.

• Like 2

They can be fixed but next time I will invest in one of those large lighted standalone mag glass. I was using a monocle style and having the solder point about 2" from my nose was a bit much. The pads and tracks are quite small, not surface mount small but still pretty much impossible to do without some form of magnification.

Sounds like success! You are the man!

I used to be able to do SMT without magnification, but not anymore <sigh>. When doing the small stuff now, I'm doing the same thing you are with a loupe, and it's a real pain. I should invest in one of those bench mounted magnifying loop lamps too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...