IGNORED

Looking for SU carbs for sale for a 1972 240 z

KiraK

9 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

They put flat tops on two years, not just one. The last year for the 240 (73), and the 74 260.

I like the flat tops, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time fighting an upstream current.

Ahh yes, a correction needed 1 year of the 240 and 1 year of the 260. Thank you CO

I too am sticking with my 4 screw carbs. 

My pleasure.

I were running carbs, I'd run as set of flattops. Detractors aside. I'm running the EFI though and it's working fine so I just have no real reason to change it out. I've always been curious though as to which would be a better performer and better for fuel economy.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

My pleasure.

I were running carbs, I'd run as set of flattops. Detractors aside. I'm running the EFI though and it's working fine so I just have no real reason to change it out. I've always been curious though as to which would be a better performer and better for fuel economy.

From what I read on Hybrids the flats preform better (tuned correctly), as for fuel economy I have not heard. For me fuel economy is irrelevant as my Z is not a daily driver. I drive it for fun and I really don't care if it sucks the fuel. I am having a blast driving it!

Older EFI makes me uneasy as any of the car companies really did not know all the ins and out as they do now. Seems to me a lot can go wrong and the parts to fix it can be hard to find. just MHO.

Please don't take offense, I just don't like the old EFI but expect it works fine as there are a lot of Z's out there with FI. I just like the mechanical aspect of carbs. in my cars. To each his own right?

@Terrapin Z and @Captain Obvious

It's 6 of one or a half a dozen of the other for me.  The price of a set of ZTherapy carbs and the intakes is about the same as what I paid to replace all my '77's EFI system except the ECU, potentiometer on the coolant sensor took care of that.  My personal thoughts on my cars are, EFI is consistent and I don't have to touch it plus it gets better fuel economy.  SUs on my 240 perform better and can handle a hotter cam but need need to be maintained regularly for the best running.  If I had to drive one across the country I'd take the '77 280.

I had to look up this word, thanks CO for my lesson of the day (it's early though). :D

I'm an espouser of both.  ROFL

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to all who helped me learn much about SU carbs, and thank you for helping me identify that I am not in need of these carbs, because i do indeed have these beautiful little carbs in my car! 

Thanks much!

K

The lil z lady :) 

image.jpeg