IGNORED

Grille tabs on body

hatepotholez

• 3 weeks later...

What happened to thebrackets? Were they removed to fit an after market grille or something like that.

I make brackets for the 280Z to fit the 240Z grille. They use the front two bolts on the hood mounts. No welding, only fitting. You could try something like that.

You basically have two types for the 240Z.

Type 1: The series I & II and the Euro model. See first set of photo's 

The Euro model has 3 long, 1 very short and 3 short horizontal bars. You can see it in the photo I posted and in the photo here below.

Type 2: The 240Z Series III (73 model) is a lot different because of the differant bumpers mounts used on that US model.  You can tell them apart easily by the two short bottom bars and two extra vertical bars. See second set of photo's 

Do you have a photo of what you have?

See photo's. Note in the 240Z grille US series1 photo a 280Z grille in laying on top. Its basically the same as the Euro except the fourth bar is the same as the bottom 3.

240Z_Grille_Euro.png

240Z_Grille_US Series1.png

240Z_Grille_US Series3 1973.png

Edited by EuroDat
Typo
  • Like 2

To give an idea of the time line. The grille changed after 4/73. If you have a 5/73 chances are it will have the model with the two short lower bars. The change coincides with the bumper and the heavy bumper brackets.

That grille was also used in the US 260Z, but it may have had some small alterations again to get around the 260Z bumper shocks.

I gained all that knowledge when I bought the later one for my 280Z bumper project:(

Here are photo's of the two styles of bumper bracket.

BumperBracket280Z to 240Z.jpg

240Z 1973 bumper brackets.jpg

• 9 months later...
Those 4 uprights that hold the horizontal grills in place are made out of the softest aluminum possible, they can be bent or twisted or broken with just two fingers, be careful.  Your grill looks pretty straight though except on the lower P/S.

That's a relief that at least its straight. The bottom two corners I can't do anything with, I tried pushing the top 2 tabs but nothing. I gave up before I ruined the grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's kind of strange, the front of your car doesn't look like it has been banged up and straightened, it's weird.

In a pinch, you could make up a couple of strips of thin metal with two holes drilled in each, one for the screw hole on the mounting tab on the car, the other for the bottom grill hole, at least that would keep the grill from bouncing around.