IGNORED

door hinge pin replacement

sweatybetty

here is how i replaced the door hinge pins on my 240. the hinges on both doors were worn, so i looked for replacement pins and bushings that i could make work. no luck. so i came up with this.

old pins here. you can see the grooves in the pins. however, the factory bushings were just fine

100_1541.JPG

next i taped the holes in the hinge with a 10-24 tap. this was simple. the hinges are cast iron and tap very easily. next, install the rod rod in the hinge and install the set screws. i also used a drop of blue lock-tite on each set screw

100_1537.JPG

Edited by sweatybetty

lastly, cut off the rod and you are done. i use a grinder with a thin cut-off wheel. total cost was $6.14. $5 for 1 foot of stainless rod and $1.14 for 8 set screws. total time was around an hour and a half.

i also drilled a 1/8" hole between the 2 set screws. this is so i could oil them after painting. as of last night  they have been painted and oiled. i may plug the oil hole with some lead shot.

100_1539.JPG

100_1540.JPG

Edited by sweatybetty
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Thanks for sharing. One could pull the doors without re-aligning the hinges. Quick and easy.

hadn't thought of that - huge advantage over fussing w/those hard-to-reach-without-the-special-wrench bolts!

On 3/26/2016 at 1:53 PM, siteunseen said:

You can use those Dorman pin bushings for your gear shifter too.  I've got them on mine instead of the plastic OE ones.  Work great and no more slop.  And of course I read it on here first. :)

38397-001.jpg

Where are these pins and bushings available?

Most chain parts stores have a section of small stuff sometimes they call it a "HELP ME" section.  I always go to Advance Auto or O'reilly's.  They have them for sure but you might call around before going.  If you're gonna use the bushings in your shifter, you need to take it with you and check the size because I'm not sure of the part number that I ended up using.

Here you go!!  Thanks again Blue!

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/shifterbushing/index.html