IGNORED

Major structural rust problem! HELP!

Murph

my best peice of advice to you would be this

as you are a uni student like me, my best advice would be to cut ur loses with this car, if you going to get someone else to do it, its going to cost you in excess of 5g, because they have the to replace both frame rails, and to the extent i can see there being a heap more rust that you havn't even seen yet. best thing to do would be to try and find a good frame that you can swap ur stuff over to... it will take you a while to find a good body... but it could be possible worth it, its a option

Spoke to my mechanic today as he has a 240Z himself. He said there's a place down south that sells the rails, and it's my best bet to buy one from there, then take it and the car to a body shop and get the rust cut out and the new rail welded in.

He's getting the details of the place that makes the rails for me tonight.

I've been advised by the ACA to get in contact with the office of fair trading in my state to see what my rights are concerning action against the previous owner. So hopefully should have some more to report tomorrow.

I would expect that you have no rights when purchasing a second hand car from a private buyer. About the only right you have is to not buy the car, after you've bought it it becomes your problem. Thats just the way the legislation is at the moment. Buyer beware. Maybe if you'd had the car inspected by the RAC or the like and they said it was fine, then you might be able to take action against them.

When you get the details of the place that makes the frame rails can you post them here for everyones benefit.

well I can honestly say that I have not seen that type of break on a Z. def a first seeing that seam seperate. I agree with 2 many in that the best course of action is to get down and dirty and really dig into both sides. removing all the undercoating to ensure that you can identify all the problem areas. The money you spend to save this car, you would spend on another one anyway and who knows what problems that would have anyway.

This one is very saveable. Now, if it was like the 280 in my garage , it would be questionable. It has lost a large portion of the passenger firewall, inner fender well, both floors, seatbelt mounts, and rad support.

All of your rotted metal has to be cut out in order to have something to weld the patch panels in.

How is underneath the battery in yours?

It appears to be ok.....but ya never know.

I'm really busy with uni atm so haven't touched the car in days and wont be able to till the weekend. Gonna attack it with a wire wheel, then we'll see exactly how much rust is there.

Originally posted by theramz

That kid probably saved your life! As for parts, try Motorsport Auto

800-633-6331 or 714-293-5552. They have frame rails and floor boards. Good luck, Tom

Yeah but the postage is a killer.

We're in Australia incase you didn't notice.

Hey

POR-15 is available here in Australia directly from the distributor located in Mona Vale, NSW. Check the website at www.ppc.au.com (they are known as Permanent Painted Coatings). I have also seen it for sale in a few auto paint stores here in Australia.

As for frame rails, Warren at All-Z may be able to help you out. He is in Thornleigh, NSW.

Regards

Joseph

Thanks Joeseph.

I'll check out all z when I ring around looking for rails later in the week. (tied up with uni atm)

With this POR.....is it something that can be removed easily? Atm, I just need something to put on between now and when the car goes in to have the rust cut and the new rail put in. So I'd like somthing that they can remove easily where required.

POR and similar products actually penetrate the rust (iron) and permanently change the molecular structure, preventing further rusting.

If you use it in areas that are painted, IMMEDIATELY wipe the excess off with warm soapy water. It discolors everything within minutes.

Pretty strong stuff... put a couple of drops on concrete and let it sit. It will turn the surface into a sticky, milk-shake consistency. Keep it off of your hands:finger: