IGNORED

Beginner's Guide to DCOE Webers (WIP)

Disclaimer: I am by NO means a Weber Pro and this post is still a WIP (Work in Progress)

Hello, my name is Mike and I've recently tackled my first set of Triple DCOE Webers project. Now, I spent hours reading all the manuals and following a few guides online, but none of them were particularly methodical in their approach and often just led to more confusion. I'm putting this guide together to, hopefully, help others who might not have much experience with these carbs or for those who (like me) prefer a Step-by-Step approach to figuring things out.

This guide has been made possible with the help of those more knowledgeable than me. Thanks guys - you know who you are! If there's anything I need to clarify or add, let me know.

Table of Contents

I. Documentation

II. Useful Links/Parts/Accessories

III. Prologue

IV. Choke/Venturi

V. Main Jets, Emulsion Tubes, Air Correctors & Idle Jets

VI. TBD

I. Documentation

DCOE Weber Carburetor Top-View Layout

bifr6Ao.gif

Weber Factory Tuning Manual - Download Link

Power Tuning Webers (Des Hammil/Veloce Publishing) - Download Link

Selection and Tuning of DCOE Weber Carbs (David Andrews ) - Download Link

Weber DCOE Tuning Manual (Philippe Boursin) - Download Link

II. Useful Links/Parts/Accessories

http://www.redlineweber.com/

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/

http://www.carburetion.com/index.htm

III. Prologue - The First Date

First and foremost, it is essential that you know what you're working with. Setup a date with your newly acquired friends and spend a romantic evening just getting to know each other - perhaps light some candles and pour some wine while you're at it. In order to tune them properly, you need to know what sort of equipment your carbs are packing. 

IV. Choke/Venturi - Step One - Removal

Let's start off by determining the size of the chokes/venturis. (If carbs don't have filters on them, skip to Step 1D

If the carbs are already out, the easiest way is to shine some light down the carb and see if you spot the engraved number. If you can't see the number or if you want to replace the chokes, then follow these steps. 

1A - Unscrew the airbox/filter (If applicable)

BgmjGGpl.jpg

1B - Underneath there are four (8mm) bolts holding in the housing. I already took off one of the studs.

mchBOgKl.jpg

1C - Remove Gasket (If applicable)

vcnrld1l.jpg

1D - Unscrew the this little fella (11mm) sitting on the bottom corner of each side of the carburetor. This holds the auxiliary venturi in place. 

SwVlgF4l.jpg

og1Qukul.jpg

1E - Once the screw is removed, the aux. venturi should slip right out. 

UCR3zWdl.jpg

1F - Make a note of the little indent where the screw holds the aux. venturi in place. You're gonna have to put it back the same way for it to seat properly

munZnR9l.jpg

1G - You should be able to see the chokes now, but we're gonna replace the 28's with a different size.

FftjBz9l.jpg

1H - Unscrew this fella (I used a flathead) to allow the choke to slide out.

nfkhaudl.jpg

1I - If you're having some trouble getting the choke/venturi out, then open the butterflies and push it out from the opposite side. It'll otherwise slide out

yQsv6qZl.jpg

lyd1QWCl.jpg

IV. Choke/Venturi - Step Two - Assembly

Alright, so now we have removed the choke - it's time to replace them!

Here's the old 28 next to the new 34 that is going in.

QKacpzal.jpg

2A - See these notches? You want to make sure that they line up properly in the carb. Looking at the carb from the front, the left choke lines up at 12 & 3, while the right choke lines up at 12 & 9

c5Pj7Qtl.jpg

(Left choke lined up at 12 & 3)

miXE1f1l.jpg

1Ykol0cl.jpg

2B - Re-insert the screw and make sure it sits firm. I had some trouble getting the right angle on some of them, so just make sure it's lined up properly.

nfkhaudl.jpg

2C - The aux. venturi should slide right in. Remember that little indent from before? Make sure it lines up properly with where the screw goes.

jk47ATbl.jpg

2D - Screw the little guy (11mm) back in and double check to make sure the aux. venturi is seated properly

og1Qukul.jpg

SwVlgF4l.jpg

2E - Do one final inspection to make sure everything is sitting right and then continue to put your gasket and filter back on.

JCOo0sfl.jpg

Personally, I went with these stacks. They slide right in and uses little clips that slide into the studs to hold them in. 

ezHCWe0l.jpg

OmxrKJTl.jpg

V. Main Jets, Air Correctors, Emulsion Tubes & Idle Jets

WIP - Work in Progress

Edited by TheCrazySwede

Sometimes the chokes won't come out. Weber makes some specialized tools, one of them is a special puller for removing stuck chokes. The one I had with a stuck choke couldn't easily be driven out. You can destroy the casting if you get too aggressive with a hammer and a drift....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Hello Mike! (applause from the crowd) 

I'm a gasoholic myself and really appreciate your effort and your presence helps us all as a group. There's old strong coffee and ashtrays available.   KEEP COMING BACK!!!

Cliff W.

Hey SiteUnseen!

Your post is what inspired me to make a one-stop-shop for Weber newcomers. Figured the task of tackling Webers is daunting enough, so I hope I can help out others brave enough to journey deep into the rabbit hole - the insane obsession that is tuning DCOE Carbs :D

I'll keep adding to it as time goes by

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheCrazySwede said:

Hey SiteUnseen!

Your post is what inspired me to make a one-stop-shop for Weber newcomers. Figured the task of tackling Webers is daunting enough, so I hope I can help out others brave enough to journey deep into the rabbit hole - the insane obsession that is tuning DCOE Carbs :D

I'll keep adding to it as time goes by

Well I'm more than happy to help you teach me! 

I have a set just dying to get your help and help from others. 

I'm reading as much as I can, and you are adding more instructions with pictures. Thank You for taking the time for us to learn more. I really appreciate that and I'm sure future Weber guys will to.

Thanks again for your detailed post! Keep us up with your progress when you have time.

Cliff

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Well I'm more than happy to help you teach me! 

I have a set just dying to get your help and help from others. 

I'm reading as much as I can, and you are adding more instructions with pictures. Thank You for taking the time for us to learn more. I really appreciate that and I'm sure future Weber guys will to.

Thanks again for your detailed post! Keep us up with your progress when you have time.

Cliff

I'm far from an experienced Weber tuner, but that's the main purpose of this post - I share everything as I'm learning. That way I can forward the information to others in a way that is easy to understand, rather than being so "pro" at it that you get too 'technical.' If I don't understand it - then I won't post it until I do.

Most of the information I'm sharing comes from a ton of reading and from friends who know way more than I do and have been gracious enough to share their knowledge. I'm just sharing the love!

Eventually, I want to extract all the important parts from the manuals/guides and re-write them in an easy-2-follow way for beginners to comprehend and avoid making things too complicated. It'll take time, which is why this post is a WIP. 

Thanks again for your kind words, Cliff! I'll be sure to update this post as I gather more information :)

• Like 3

• 2 months later...