sweatybetty

sweatys rebuild

Sweaty, that was a ballsy move. I've always wanted to open up the booster but was afraid I would tear the rubber diaphragm and have to order a rebuilt one. Was there a pool of brake fluid in there?

Good on you, I might give that try now, looks pretty simple in there.

Chris

It's pretty simple inside but getting them open and closed can be a challenge. We drilled a wooden plate for each side. Clamped the bottom plate in the vise and screwed 2 3' 2x4's to the top one to get enough leverage to get it open. It is spring loaded inside but not crazy tension

On 4/3/2016 at 3:52 PM, grannyknot said:

Sweaty, that was a ballsy move. I've always wanted to open up the booster but was afraid I would tear the rubber diaphragm and have to order a rebuilt one. Was there a pool of brake fluid in there?

Good on you, I might give that try now, looks pretty simple in there.

Chris

there was a little, maybe 2 tablespoons full if that much. to open it up, i clamped a pair of vice grips on the stamped "V" that locks the 2 halves together. then i put a crescent wrench on the vice grips and twisted. this "undid" the "V" and and the 2 halves popped apart with a small whack of a hammer.

my thinking is this: if it IS broke, try fixing it, you got nothing to lose, and you learn something. if you do fix it, you are $$$ ahead. 

• Like 2

well t has warmed up and all the bugs are back, so no more paint for now. i have started on replacing all the brake lines. i got the front brake tubing ran and the found that in order to do the rear line, i needed to pull out all the rear suspension. so.....

100_1574.JPG

100_1576.JPG

and that led to dis-assembly. cut-off wheel in a grinder and a few whacks with a bfh, and done!

100_1583.JPG

then the struts. these are koni 82r-1812. they look like they have been in there a while and the sticker looks old-fashioned. any ideas as to how old they may be?

100_1578.JPG

brake line replacement. i covered some of the tubing with 7/32" vacuum tubing where it is close to metal. maybe protect it from wear. this is a copper type of brake line. VERY easy to work with. easy to bend without kinking. i think i paid $44 for a 25 foot roll

100_1579.JPG

100_1580.JPG

100_1582.JPG

• Like 1

Could be some sort of spring perch rubber insulator? They didn't come in the kits 4 years ago. How many came in the kit?

I was ordering some bearings for R200 diff from the 1983 280zx page and by mistake or stupidity, I ordered 4 shock bumpers thinking that I would get the bumpers that mount on the shock shaft. Well what I got was 4 of those spring insulators that you have. More stuff for the Z swap meet.

fed ex made my day. also brought new struts, rubber brake lines, fuel line and a rear brake proportioning valve. i was kind of surprised at the springs. the picture on ebay showed them as red. would have matched the paint. no biggie. so now all the brake lines to each corner are done, and i plan on painting all the rear suspension today. should have the rear end back in tomorrow. then comes the front end.

100_1599.JPG100_1600.JPG100_1597.JPG

little more progress. new proportioning valve

100_1603.JPG

all the rear suspension parts sandblasted and painted

100_1604.JPG100_1606.JPG

and installed

100_1608.JPG

drums sandblasted and powder-coated

100_1610.JPG100_1612.JPG

• Like 1

Is it an epoxy primer? I spent a lot of time fussing with my paint to get the sheen I wanted...

I ran an epoxy primer on my parts but it is blueish-grey so I top coated with a single stage black but flattening it was a challenge. the epoxy aught to hold up well and it has a pretty decent sheen to it

On 4/17/2016 at 3:29 PM, wheee! said:

LOL. Nice! My Eastwood PC kit just arrived too!

i found out today that local powder coating shops will sell the powder. they filled (to the top) 2 of the plastic bottles for $8 :D eastwood charges $10 for half a bottle plus shipping. the shop i stopped at had a whole room full of 50# boxes of powder. call around before ordering more

Face palm! I just ordered $100 worth of three colours from Eastwood today!

• Like 1

Face palm! I just ordered $100 worth of three colours from Eastwood today!

well its been a while since ive updated this, so here goes

all new front end parts, including ball joints, struts, upper bearing, tie rod ends, springs, polyurethane bushings and compression rod parts. everything was sandblasted and painted with black epoxy

100_1629.JPG

100_1632.JPG

100_1639.JPG

new toyota calipers and aluminum splash shields.  the originals were gone, so i made some up at work. the aluminum is a little too thick, so the hubs rub just a tiny bit but that should go away as the hub wears the aluminum.

100_1642.JPG

100_1644.JPG

new compression rod parts and cover

100_1646.JPG

• Like 3

so, i now have working brakes :D after the rear conversion and a couple of leak repairs everything is good!

all new calipers, bearings and rotors. i have new cable and stops for the parking brake cable on the way, so i hope to have that done next week. then i can get the diff and short shafts back in. that should be the end of the suspension.

next up: new wiring harness B)

100_1661.JPG

100_1666.JPG

100_1672.JPG

Edited by sweatybetty