IGNORED

1157 bulb sockets

rcb280z

Well, that 1157 socket won't work without modifications. I'll need to take some measurements to say how much. I found some 1156 sockets that went in but did not lock. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AKX8MSO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Then I found this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K833BS2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I will get those on Tuesday.

When I was messing with my sockets a couple days ago, one of them was so rusty that I felt I couldn't do an adequate job cleaning it up while it was all assembled, so I started pushing and pulling the socket apart. I think I was even able to push the metal tube portion up out of the plastic holder.

Point is, I think you might be able to reuse your original plastic housing portion and just replace the metal interior section with a new one.

That might be another option if we can't find a suitable mechanical replacement? Same fit into the tail lamp housing as before, but new metal where the bulb inserts?

• Like 2

this problem must be contagious. my left brake is out as well, and i've traced the problem to the socket.

before i cut the wires and crimp on an a universal part, has anyone found a better solution?

i can replace the entire socket, or keep the socket and just replace the contacts and pigtail.

the insulator disks are a bit oversized for the original socket, so some amount of fiddling is needed.

5421x1__08723.1262482090.1000.1000.jpg?c

Edited by awconroy

Not sure if matters or not, but the original insulator disk had "wing" tabs on both  sides and in addition, the width of the tabs on the two sides were different because that was how they ensured the disk could only go into the socket one way. If you try to put the disk in the wrong way, the wide tab won't fit in the narrow slot that was designed for the narrow tab.

All that stuff is necessary since the bulb has two different filaments and they aren't the same wattage. You have to align the correct filament with the correct wire with the correct pin on the side of the bayonet.

(Does any of that make sense at all......?)

When I was messing with my sockets a couple days ago, one of them was so rusty that I felt I couldn't do an adequate job cleaning it up while it was all assembled, so I started pushing and pulling the socket apart. I think I was even able to push the metal tube portion up out of the plastic holder.

Point is, I think you might be able to reuse your original plastic housing portion and just replace the metal interior section with a new one.

That might be another option if we can't find a suitable mechanical replacement? Same fit into the tail lamp housing as before, but new metal where the bulb inserts?

This!

You can reuse the plastic lock. There new socket may be a little small, but you can use tape or even better shrink tubing if you can something that will fit around the new socket. Don't forget to solder on the ground wire before shrink tubing.

• Like 1

yes captain it does does help, and thanks for pointing out the tab orientation.

i only had one bad contact and i'm trying to avoid any unneccesary wire splices so i've ordered a set of these: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JS8OU9M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

419EV44RpQL._SY450_.jpg

Edited by awconroy