IGNORED

Fuel Tank Problems

75zGuy7

Hi everyone I'm currently restoring a '75 280z and am running into some problems with cleaning the gas tank. I've tried cleaning it with acetone and some bb's but for some reason I believe the fuel hose outlet is still clogged. Ive tried compressed air and pouring acetone directly into the pipe but cannot seem to get anything through it. This is my first restoration and Im faily new to the whole process is there any suggestions sort of taking it to a radiator shop or buying a new tank that I could try.

Thanks!

I've heard there's a brass screen on the fuel pickup; if that's clogged, it may be part of your problem.  If you have a problem with rust, and I assume that you probably do, then acetone isn't going to do any good.  Muriatic acid will take care of that, but will flash rust afterwards. Phosphoric acid is another option.

Last I checked, a restored tank runs about $400.  I did a full restoration on mine, and given the cost of buying all the materials (acids, acetone, tank liner, paint, etc.) and the effort and amount of time it took to do the job, I'd be hard-pressed not to buy a new tank if I had to do it again.

I've done 2.  Quart of Red Kote liner $30, gallon of muriatic acid $5, quart of acetone $10, 4 boxes of baking soda $2.  Leaf blower I have already and I get empty 5 gallon buckets for free.  Drop the tank one day, clean and seal the next.  Takes about a week for the Red Kote to cure.  Here's what gave me the confidence to do it, http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuel/gastank/index.htm

Read this and you'll get an idea of what I did, http://damonq.com/techsheets/red-kote.pdf

post-23570-0-13943200-1436727692_thumb.j

post-23570-0-56516500-1436727730_thumb.j

post-23570-0-30318800-1436727786_thumb.j

post-23570-0-10534300-1436727817_thumb.j

post-23570-0-05277200-1436727852_thumb.j

I have a 1977 280Z which similar to 76 model. I don't think they have a screen as such. If it did I would have blocked mine with sealant when I treated it. They do have a inner chamber to prevent air lock when cornering with the tank low on fuel.

I was having a lot of problems with gunk in the filter I fitted before the pump. Draining the fuel didn't help so I ended up treating the tank. Its back breaking work and my kids are just getting over having to help. They sort of forgiven me.

You need to use a chemical that will disolve fuel varnish, other fuel sediment and rust. Try to fill to tube and use a wire to work the sediment loose.

I used a kit from KBS, but there are other brands available. You could try the cleaning solution in the kit to dislodge the material and clean the tank in the process.

The photos are

Row 1: Before treatment

Row 2: After Aqua klean

Row 3: After Tank Sealer

Row 4: Tank repainted

post-25317-0-30926800-1436729265_thumb.j

post-25317-0-72434100-1436729308_thumb.j

Edited by EuroDat

Don't forget to place a clear fuel filter between the tank and the fuel pump!  No matter how clean you think you have the tank, there will always be some debris that will find its way out!!!  A cheap see-thru filter will save you some grief - especially if you have a bunch of new components downstream.

Don't forget to place a clear fuel filter between the tank and the fuel pump!  No matter how clean you think you have the tank, there will always be some debris that will find its way out!!!  A cheap see-thru filter will save you some grief - especially if you have a bunch of new components downstream.

Here's some nice instructions on that clear filter, it's a must on these cars. http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuel/g3filter/index.htm

Hey there ZCurves.  Did you ever get your hot restart resolved?  Hadn't seen too much of you on here lately, life gets in the way.  :o