Sign in to follow this  
TomoHawk

Stainless Wiper Arms

Can you get stainless steel wiper arms for a 280Z, or are the only available in painted steel?

240s aren't painted and stainless to boot.  I'd bet the later 280 arms that are painted, '77 & '78, could be stripped down to bare stainless.  Try and see if a magnet sticks to yours then get some paint stripper.

yes, the 78 arms are sst under the paint. i stripped & polished mine. also got a set of the 240 blades to match.

the only tricky part is getting the paint off right where the arms are riveted to the cast connector (which mounts to the shaft). the connectors will corrode once stripped, and i couldn't get all the paint out of the pivot area without pulling the rivets (which i chose not to mess with).

it looks nice in polished sst, but beware you will get some nasty glare from time to time when the sun hits 'em...

I tested mine, and the magnet was attracted, end-to-end.

That means I should go buy a set of 280Z wiper arms?

BTW-   Bansai Motorworks replied to an email, saying they can't help.

Try Zcarsource.com ......They have tons of used parts.....buy a used set and take em down to stainless steel.

If you mean the whole wiper- where the arms mount to the two round slotted / threaded shafts coming out of the cowl then yes. 77/78 blades mount differently than 70-76 so you can't take a 240 blade and mount it to a 77/78 original arm. Hope I am making sense.

with a little modification you can mount a 240 blade to a 280 arm - the 280 arm has a receiver clip riveted on to the end which allows the newer style blades to snap in. you need to drill out the rivet in the 280 arm at the blade receiver clip and the bent loop on the arm will mate up w/the 240 blade. the little clip on the 240 blade will snap right into the hole in the 240 arm tip that was previously filled with the rivet you drilled out. 

sounds complicated but it's actually pretty simple.

There isn't a simpler way, like a wiper arm from another Datsun that is stainless steel, and will fit a 280Z?

I had to ask.

Edited by TomoHawk

I'm confused. 240 and 280 arms are the "same" except for the way the blades mount and the paint on the later ones. Pretty much any generic blades I buy come with several types of mounting adapters. Why not just get some SS 240 arms (banzai, zcarsource, me etc), bolt 'em on and go? Same same.

I think  all is well, basically,

My 280Z arms need a wiper blade that has the pin connection, and you can get those easily enough in the U.S., as you say, they usually come with a bunch of adapters, or you can just buy the one you need.

So all I would need is a set of the stainless steel 240Z arms.

Edited by TomoHawk

Now all is clear. er. Would you like a set of 240 ss arms? Contact me at z240@shaw.ca and we'll take it from there if you can't find some from a closer source.

The perfect wiper blade for my 240 is the Trico #44-180.  It's just the refills, 2 per pack for $6.99 at O'reilys.  

This is what I do for replacements, whether for my 72s, 75, or 78. I don't want to give up the original blade...just the rubber.

• Like 1

The perfect wiper blade for my 240 is the Trico #44-180.  It's just the refills, 2 per pack for $6.99 at O'reilys.  

I tried the refills when I last bought a new car.  You couldn't get the old rubbers out without tearing, and the new ones were about impossible to insert.  I just get the loaded blades now.

I can get adapters for all the common kinds of wiper arms, such as the hook, latch, and pin.  They have them at the local AP store.

Would you really expect someone to polish stainless steel wiper arms so they have a mirror-like surface, or did they  have a somewhat flat or satin texture, say, way back  in the 1960s? Stainless trim like the drip rails  window frames were usually  very polished, but I don't remember what the wiper arms were like.

all the stock ss arms I have are not polished. Old school brushed looking. They could be polished is you like, ss tends to polish well.

the nuts are sst under the black paint and polish up really nicely - it's the alloy portion that actually mates with the splined shaft that is the tricky part. they don't polish very well and quickly get powdery w/surface corrosion.