IGNORED

Z Car Source carpet and seat kits

icetitan

hi, Has anyone tried the carpet and/or seat kits from Z Car Source , and does anyone know if they are the same manufacture as carpet/seat kits sold by MSA? I want to re-do mine in a hurry, and can't figure out which seats covers are the good ones. I know there are some poorer ones out there. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. Thank you

I'm tempted by this combo kit:

http://www.zcarsource.com/carpet-vinyl-seat-upholstery-set-280z-77-78-late-77-coupe-black-new-kit_8_56097_197107.html

From the searches I've done, they're all made by these folks; http://www.accmats.com/

Zcarsource is as cheap as anybody else I've found.  I don't know about doing the seats yourself, it's pretty involved from what I've read.  http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/44331-diy-how-to-recover-your-z-seats-lots-of-pictures/

I've bought 2 more Zs and the carpet fell to the bottom of the 280s list.

re-skinning the seats is not difficult. spend $15 on a set of hog ring pliers and some rings and take your time with the install - it's like pulling a big vinyl sock over the seat.

while you've got the seats apart, it makes sense to clean up & paint the frames/springs and lube the tracks, and if your foam is shot simply replace it - but again, not a big deal. 

Been there, done that...the hair dryer is your friend. It helps to let the vinyl heat up in the sun before installing. It's not that difficult if you are handy. If not take the seats and covers to your local upholstery shop. As an aside I ended up going with seats from a '90 300ZX. They offered more support for my tired old butt.

Cheers, Mike

For carpet, I ordered the ACC kit (part #4512230) for my 240z from RockAuto.com:

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=6070065

Very pleased with the quality and price ($170).

For seats, I looked at re-upholstering my original seats (new foam and leather) but decided to install seats from an S2000 instead (similar overall price). My 240z is a rest-mod so I wasn't concerned with the seat swap. I couldn't be happier with my seats and will never go back. My $0.02

When did they change from the loop pile to the cut pile? I've got cut pile in my 77 but I don't think it's original. I think a PO put it in and it's just OK. I'd like something better.

I like the look and durability of the loop pile though as opposed to the cut. Anyone think it would be a huge mistake to use loop pile in my car (that I'm assuming is supposed to have cut)?

My seat covers came from ebay, carpet came from MSA, and I can't remember where the foam came from :unsure:.  Very happy with all products.  Like the others mentioned, do it on a warm day in the sun if you can.  It will help getting the covers over new foam if you go that way.  It can can turn into a wrestling match so give yourself some room but it is very doable.

When did they change from the loop pile to the cut pile? I've got cut pile in my 77 but I don't think it's original. I think a PO put it in and it's just OK. I'd like something better.

I like the look and durability of the loop pile though as opposed to the cut. Anyone think it would be a huge mistake to use loop pile in my car (that I'm assuming is supposed to have cut)?

My 77 came with no carpet to speak of but a tiny remnant of it was cut pile.  Personally, I wouldn't hold it against anyone for using loop pile. Although if you drive barefoot and have long toenails it could become a hazard LOL .

I hadn't noticed that guys, thanks!  My 240s have looped and the 280 is cut I guess, it looks like fake black fur, all original.  I've had it outside under a cover for a month and got in this past Saturday to find some kind of mildew looking stuff lightly covering the carpet on the transmission tunnel to the sides of the shifter.  Brushes right off by hand and it was dry as a bone so I don't know what it could be.  I guess it's just old and getting grey headed.  I wish my grey would wipe out.  :P

Hey Captain, I believe the cut pile started in 1977. IIRC, my 74, 75 and 76 all had loop but my 77 had cut pile. Use whatever carpet you like. My 1971 Fairlady Z has blue shag with purple velour on everything else. You could do something like that with your car.  ;-)

Chuck