IGNORED

83 280ZX accelerating problem

jmw_man

Problem resolved.

It was the control module on the distributor.

I took the control module off of the Cardone distributor that I purchased from Rockauto last week and replaced it with the control module that was on my old distributor, and put the timing light on the number 5 wire and it was flashing again above 2000 rpm. Also, I drove it around for a good while and it's like night and day difference. The range of acceleration is so insanely smooth.

I think I read somewhere that Rockauto makes the claim that everything is inspected but my guess is that the inspection of the module isn't thorough enough as it wasn't exposed to the heat needed to bring about the problem I was having.

My old distributor/control module assembly was only bad due to damage to the vacuum advance, reluctor, and stator, the old control module must be fine. So here's my next question: do I take the distributor off of my car, call up Rockauto and claim I received a defective part, or do I cut my losses and keep the distributor I received from them? I did some google searching and found where other people had trouble dealing with Rockauto in that Rockauto required you to pay for shipping to return parts to them. Here's my thought, it's only a matter of time before my module goes out on me right? It's also nearly impossible to get them new right? What would y'all do?

Can't hurt to try Rockauto.  Shouldn't cost much to ship just the module back if they'll take it.  You have a pretty good case since the old one worked and the new one didn't. If the math works out, it works out.  Those modules alone are spendy.  Although, it's possible that the old one just works with a screwed up system, and the new one requires everything to be right.  I think it has something to do with floating logic states due to no power to the terminals (SteveJ or Captain Obvious would know). The old one might be more robust to problems.

Ignition modules are odd things.  I had one, a GM HEI module, that showed spark with a plug out an on a wire but the spark wasn't hot enough to start the engine.  I injured the module by leaving two plug wires off by accident and running the engine.

That extra terminal does the same thing as the extra set of points or pickups on the earlier distributors.  Just advances spark when the engine is cold.  For emissions, I believe.  You could delete that function and replace the module with a GM HEI module, if you want to save some money in the future.

Rockauto gave me the option to return and replace the entire order (which involves more hassle (removing/waiting/installing/timing)) or to take a $15 credit for my troubles and leave everything else as is. I have no option to return just the ignition control module for a replacement or a refund equivalent to the value of the ignition control module. It would be nice but the customer rep I spoke with said he can't do that. The problem with returning the entire thing is I'd run the risk of getting something else that was bad.