IGNORED

no low end power?

z_boi

Hi Z_boi,

If you have next-to-no power at any rpm's then you have issues.

Task #1 get a manual, & get familliar with the diagnostic proceedures for both the engine & EFI system.

Based on that you will find out that for something like lack of power the following could be the cause (taken from Engine-Fuel section of the L24E FSM):

Improper ignition system

Malfunctioning throttle valve

Malfunctioning air flow meter

Clogged air cleaner filter (now _that's_ easy to check)

Improper fuel line

Improper fuel pressure

Problems in the following circuits:

* Ignition coil trigger input circuit

* Control unit power input circuit

* Injection circuit

* Air flow meter potentiometer

* Throttle valve switch, idle contact & full throttle contact

* Air temperature sensor

* Water temperature sensor

* Air regulator & fuel pump circuit

I know that's pretty much everything, but fixing these problems is a process of elimination. The L-jet system is relatively simple & a proper diagnostic process _will_ solve the problem.

Keep us posted & get ready to enjoy heaps more power from your car!

Dont expect to gun it at 1500 RPM and have it fly, unless you are in first or second gear. If you had a V8 or V10 built for torque that would be different, small engines are built for higher powerbands.

It appears that you are inexperienced in the driving and handeling of the car. What you could do here is to take the car out to a stright road with no traffic and dry pavement . start out form a stop like normal in first gear and take the car up to 2000 rpm and level out on the speed and dont shift. Now as you are crusing along do nothing with the clutch just floor the gas and take the engine up to 3000 . Now that you should have felt some power . go ahead and shift . Now if you have the room do the same thing from 2000 only this time take it to 4000 but do it in secound gear , you should be getting the picture. Just make sure you are on dry clean pavement . As for the mileage if you are not shifting at the right speeds and lugging the engine the mileage will be crap, and the enging will be getting loaded up with carbon. Be careful here when doing this test as the car should respond unless it is so loaded up and running bad . How ever this should blow it out and clean things up . I have seen this before with people that are not use to driving a manual shift car, trying to pull hills with a load in the wrong gear . This is good that you are asking these questions because y ou can knock out the lower end of the engine by lugging it. The lower end is the crankshaft and main bearings not to mention blowing holes in the tops of the pistons. Get back to us on this . Gary

If he is getting used to handeling this car 4k should be plenty , unless you need a parts car, only kidding. I was just trying to get him to get into the power band of the engine with out loosing controll , he will be doing plenty of that on his own. By the way ed did you mail Phred.

I was normally shifting at about 2000rpms. is that bad?

But when i go up hill i shift maybe around 3000 or so. Now im sifting at about 2200-2500 rpms.

Ed, when you say at least 5000 Your not talkin about normal driving are you?.

Guys. when im talkin no low end power. im not talkin about pushin the car. im talin about normal driving. I have no problems when driving the car hard expept when i shift fast and pop the clutch, it seems to get a lilttle jerky and doesnt quite accelerate for a few seconds.

Can't help myself here!

z_boi, you have a vehicle that has a high revving engine. It's not a Ford or GM.

You will have to get used to it and once you do you'll never regret it.:stupid:

As much as you might hate the thought, L series engines purr between 3 & 5K

Just try shifting through the gears at those rpms and enjoy!!!!!!!

LOL LOL LOL

Look at it this way, torque is what gets you off the line and gets the vehicle moving. The L-series does not have the torque that a low revving domestic straigth six has because it has a small displacement.

If you look at one of the hottest sports cars to come from Japan in the last 10 years you will see the similarities with your Z. The Honda S2000 has very impressive HP numbers from a very small displacement engine, yet it lacks torque. If you read all the tests of the S2000, they all say the same thing, lack of low end torque. Get that little Honday revving in the 4K and up to its 9K rev limit and it does fine, below that and it is a bit of a slug.

Your Z is in the same dilema, it has good power, but it will always be a bit low power in the lower revs, unless you do something to improve it. Two things that will help it significantly are a light weight flywheel so the engine will spin up to higher revs quickly and a lower rear end gear ratio.

Ok. I'm talkin about normal driving. When you talk about shifting within 3000-5000, are you guys talking about driving it hard or normal driving?

when i drive my car hard, i dont shift untill at least 4000rpms or above.

when i drive normally. speed limit, normal stop and go, I USED TO

shift at about jus under 2000 becuzz i thought it saved more gas that way, and at about a loittle over 2000rpms for hills. but what im getting from you guys is that it is not good on the engine.

So now when i drive NORMALY, i shift at about a little over 2000 to 2500rpms. it seems to be driving fine.

So im jus wondering now if you guys are talking about PUSHING IT

or jus NORMAL DRIVING?

humm.. I guess its jus cuzz my car is loud and when i drive it up to 3k normally it jus seems like im reving high. Guess i'm more used to driveing quite little four bangers.

Thanks guys.

I needa get sum electric fans, any recomendations?

Originally posted by z_boi

Ed, when you say at least 5000 Your not talkin about normal driving are you?.

Powerband, not shift points! Depending on how fast I'm accelerating, I shift from 2000-4000, if I'm on the track I shift from 5000-6000 depending (road track, not drag).

I also skip gears ALOT, but I have a 3.90 rear, I do 1-3-5, or 1-3-4-5, or 1-2-4, yada yada, sometimes even 1-4-5.

Straight 6/8 engines are usually considered torquey low revvers (for the old days), because long cranks dont typically like to be wound out (even the Viper has a low peak HP RPM). However with 168 cubes for the 2.8L we dont exactly have a tow truck :)

I have so much friggin rear gear, that I am shifting to 4th by 28-35 MPH and that is not at a low RPM either, that is one big reason why I skip shift alot. I can take off from second without hardly slipping the clutch at all. I can't wait to put in a 3.36 or 3.54, the 3.90 is ridiculous without it being a full on race car, or at LEAST a later model 5 speed.

As for the electric fan, just make sure you do the wiring yourself if you want to save money. MSA sells a kit for a very high price, I bought a Saturn fan for not even $30 (you could find a fan for $5 if you wanted) and then buy a relay/temperature sensor that you like at Jegs.com or Summitracing.com from $20-$50 depending what you want.