IGNORED

no low end power?

z_boi

:disappoin I have a stock 78 280. when i drive the car, it feels arse if i dont have much low end power. It seems like the powerband doesnt really kik in until about above 1500rpms, and its even worst when tryin to pull up hill. if im in any other gear besides 1st, i have to be at least at 2000rpms or higher (depending on the steepness of the hill) to get up with out my rpms droping. Is this normal? Is there anything i can do to fix it?

Thanks guys!

I would recommend getting a Haynes or Chiltons, I got my Haynes for $9 or so off eBay.

If it is the distributor, then you can try to rotate it a small amount clockwise and see if that helps, if you get pinging though then you moved too far. Move it maybe 1/16-1/8" at a time. What RPM does your car idle at?

It could also be fuel related, I dont know much about the SU carbs but there is an oil level that you could check, I will not say what kind of lube they use but I have heard of people making thier own mix instead of buying it. I also have a book on Weber and SU carbs that I could give you for a few bucks if you dont want to hit the web for it, I dont need it, or just ask in the CARB forum for advice on how to check the lube level of the carbs, and what to use to lube them with.

Does the power kind of surge on when it comes, or is it pretty undetectable? You could also check your fuel filter(s) to see how they look.

my car is set at about 800 rpms but most of the time, it usually idels higher than that, sometimes its over 1000rpms, the highest I've seen it idel at is about 1300rpms. its very unpredictable.

My car is fuel injected. Its not exactly a power surge and its somewhat predictable. Thanks for helping me out Mudge!

Well, Im gonna do a major tune up soon so i'll see what happens after that.

you are asking your engine to produce power with out turning any RPM ! what are you thinking , these engines are good strong LITTLE power plants , but they need help . An engine must be turning more than 1500 rpm to create any ammount of power . You need someone to show you what lugging the engine will do and not do. This engine will not make power in secound or third gear under 2000 and will pull it's hart out up to 5000. Drive an automatic and duplicate the shift vs. RPM shifting pattern in your 280 and you will then see what this car can do. Maby you are used to driveing a desel powered car they make power at low rpm. As far as the post on SUs the oil in the damper is 20wt that is what is recommended by the factory and I find it to work the best . 10w30 will in a pinch. You can find 20wt at a cycle shop it is used in the front forks , it is called fork oil by the 20w , as to the level of oil there is a mark on the dampiner , if you put in too much , no worrys it will just flow down into the carb and be burned with the fuel. By the way the dampiner is the little rod with the black plastic cap in the middle of the dome. On the injected ingine If the idle is vasolating between 800 and 1300 look for vacume leaks, to start with.

Ok, now that I re-read your first post, its possible that you are expecting too much.

You would need a V8 with around 300# of TQ @ 1500 RPM for you to lug up a hill and not give it more gas, and this is a peaky engine compared to an early 90s TQ puller V8. 4400 RPM is where peak torque is at stock.

What is your gas mileage like? If your in the mid 20s or so, your car is fine. You can also check your plugs for clues.

When you drive a car with a little engine, you are going to rev it more than a V8 with cubes, that is just the facts. This is why Hondas have to rev to 8k or so to make the power that they do, they are NOT torquey engines.

Check your MPG.

Since you are new to this and if you still feel that there is something wrong with your car my advice would be to take it to a shop. Go to someone that has experience working on Z's. Some shop's will let you go with your car and see what the mechanic is doing. I usually never ask and just walk back there as the mechanic is getting ready to tinker on my car. Then I stay out of his way and start asking questions. You could learn so much in twenty minutes. If there is nothing wrong then you pay a little. Usually just a diagnostic check. If he does a little work on it, it's usually about $50 an hour. It's well worth the education.

when i say no power i mean its like, even if i floor it, it doesnt pic up any more speed untill it gets to a certain point. I've drivin 4 cylenders(manual) b4 and have never experienced any thing like the way my car perfporms. Or maybe im jus used to drive automatics. I dunnoe guys, even when im goin in 2nd or 3rd gear at about 1800 rpms or so, my rpms would drop even if i floor the pedal ( that is goin up hill). I dunno guys, U tell me.

My mpg doesnt seem all that great. i think its under 15 mpg. Not quite sure. Again, i have a 78' fuel injected 280z. no carbs.

Well, ima try to replace all my vacume hoses and egr unit soon and then i'll see wat happens.

thanks guys for helping me.