IGNORED

240Z Serie I Color Wiring Diagram

EuroDat

'Passing Relay' sounds like it's related to the 'kickdown switch' for an automatic transmission.

I think its something to do with the high beam headlights you use when passing or flashing another car. If you trace the wiring it runs through the combination switch and goes to the headlights. Its not on all the wiring diagrams you see on all the websites. Thats why Im asking about it.

Did the early 240Z have the flash headlight function by pulling the comb.switch towards the steering wheel or am I missing something?

You can see it in the "Colorwiring240zConcept " top left corner next to the engine bay inspection light.

Chas

Nice work!

I'm also doing '75 280z color wiring diagram too.

working in progress.

Hi Timo,

What software are you using to trace. I started tracing, but found it was not so neat as I wanted. Ended up using the original as a tamplate in AutoCAD. With EndSnap, Grid and Polylines its easy to connect the parts and everything stays neat and tidy. I know DraftSight from Dassault systems works very similar to AutoCAD, but its lousy in Paperspace. NanoCAD works good in paperspace, but not so good as DraftSight in other areas.

Here are some screen shots in stages. Background JPEG, Grid on & Grid off.

post-25317-0-77065400-1424453626_thumb.j

Here is a little update, still messing around with the layout a bit. moving things around to get a better fit with the wiring spaces. Ill add the colour key later.

It looks great!

You may wish to consider thicker wires so that two-colour wires can be seen at further zoomed-out views. Thicker wires may also help in reading printed versions too!

It is s nice to see the schematic!! BIG THANKS!

It looks great!You may wish to consider thicker wires so that two-colour wires can be seen at further zoomed-out views. Thicker wires may also help in reading printed versions too!It is s nice to see the schematic!! BIG THANKS!

Blue, thanks for the input. I was coming to that conclusion too. The line weights are ok on A1 format prints, but if you drop it down to A3 the detail is lost.

I want to get it so you can print it on A2 or A3 and maybe make a 4 piece drawing you can print on 4x A4's and tape them together to make a A2 drawing.

Ill play with the line weights tomorrow.

Chas

• Like 1

Does anybody have information on the "PASSING RELAY" See screenshot. Its on the original wiring diagram I traced. A lot of diagrams don't have it so it seems to be some kind of option or a later addition.

Other markets/models had a button on the end of the turn signal stalk. When depressed the headlamps would momentarily flash, the same as our "optical horns" do today.

The passing relay has 4 wires connected to it. The R/W (red with white stripe) is spliced into the headlight dimmer wire. The Black is a ground wire. The Red is spliced into the headlight 12V circuit via a fuse to the fusebox busbar. The B/Y (black with yellow stripe) makes a straight run to the passing switch, which is the white button on the end of the turn signal stalk, if so equipped.

Edited by geezer