IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

Got more of the firewall cleaned off last night. Still need to bleed off the brake lines and remove the hard lines so I can pull the clutch and brake booster off.

9b10df151be2ddab01f8b19da471b0d6.jpg

Cleaned most of the tar matting off too. The PO had redone the floor pans in a tarry gooey substance that was fun to remove. Even shot a little copper slag at the firewall and tunnel to see how well it cleaned up. Not sure if I'll blast the interior or a combination of blasting and Strip Eaze (plastic fibre wheel) with the grinder.

some folks on here have used dry ice to freeze up and embrittle the "tar" on the pans/tunnel and it apparently comes off much easier.

perhaps a search will yield more info or others might chime in.

i read about this AFTER spending hours with various mechanical methods and a lot of sweat/cussing...

Mine is scraping off fairly well. Big chunks in places, stuck fast in others. I read about the dry ice method and heat gun too. So far a hand scraper and an oscillating putty blade have worked well. Just takes time.... It's the tight corners and edges that are a pain regardless.

I used a heat gun and scraper.  I would highly recommend trying the dry ice, though, because the scraper method is a PITA and dry ice is supposed to make it a lot easier. I believe Lacquer thinner dissolves the residue once you get the big pieces off, but be safe the fumes are very bad for you.

Take it from me, you have a long project in front of you so take every opportunity to do things the easy way.  I'm three years into my own project and could have been a little smarter at a few points and saved some work.  

Wait until you start trying to get the undercoating off!

• Like 1

I used a heat gun and scraper.  I would highly recommend trying the dry ice, though, because the scraper method is a PITA and dry ice is supposed to make it a lot easier. I believe Lacquer thinner dissolves the residue once you get the big pieces off, but be safe the fumes are very bad for you.

Take it from me, you have a long project in front of you so take every opportunity to do things the easy way.  I'm three years into my own project and could have been a little smarter at a few points and saved some work.  

Wait until you start trying to get the undercoating off!

The undercoating is already coming off from the engine bay and fender wells... the underbelly is awaiting me tho.... :(

The undercoating is already coming off from the engine bay and fender wells... the underbelly is awaiting me tho.... :(

Some folks pay and just have the whole thing media blasted.  I think I would do that if I ever do another one of these projects.  Don't forget to check it out.  From my own experience media blasting sucks especially with my 5 hp compressor.  Just not enough muscle to keep up (I'm not sure if it's a crappy compressor or just too small).  So if you can find someone to do it for a reasonable price then do it!