IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

• 3 weeks later...

Installed the Techno Versions V Boost tach adapter last night. The ebay version, although functioning, tended to jump around a lot. The V Boost version has enough power to smooth the signal totally out! 
Still waiting on the replacement fuel pump. The stock unit can’t feed the volume anymore and is leaning out under load. Ordered a Walbro in line unit to replace it. This should also get rid of the pump noise that was driving me nuts. 

EF621A8B-72E7-47B0-9DC0-EA880E99B86F.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There’s always one more thing… I took the time to rethink the push button start system this week. As it was designed for the stock electrical system, the ignition needed to be activated by pushing on the brake to start the car. But this was a pain in that it was clumsy and if you stalled in an intersection while rolling, you needed to stop the car with the brake to start it. 
So I had an idea to replace the rubber bumper on the clutch pedal with another brake pedal switch. Normally open, closed when the brake is pushed. I drilled out the rubber bumper nut in the pedal box for the bigger diameter brake switch, and wired it to accessory power and the push button ignition switch. Voila! I now start the car by pushing in the clutch instead of the brake! Much safer and easier to do!

Rubber bumper for attention.  Forgot to get a picture of the brake switch. 

5621E4AE-B4A4-4B3B-BD56-396286558804.jpeg

• Like 4

I bought a 1977 Chevy Monza Spyder with the 305 V8.  It was the first car I ran into which required the clutch pedal to be depressed to engage the starter.

Probably the first week I owned it, I pulled the switch out of place from the clutch pedal assembly and wired it closed so that the starter could be used any time. 

When I'm working on a car, I really don't want to have to climb into it to use the starter.

I and my family owned that car for 30 years, and not once did defeating that safety device result in damage or problems for anyone. 

• Like 1

All my modern clutch cars are like that so it is a good “safety” feature for when the wife drives/starts the car.
Plus it is part of the wiring of the push button and I have no issues keeping a safety feature installed. I have five grandkids climbing around in there at times and one of them is bound to push the start button eventually….

• Like 2