IGNORED

L4 Water Pump On An L6?

hr369

I picked up a cheap L16 original atsugi water pump and have started researching to see if it will fit my L28.  I know about the pulley offset problem

and was wondering if anyone has swapped water pump pulleys from another datsun to correct the offset problem. The size of the impellers

looks comparable to the L28 pump despite the fact that its for a smaller engine.

Since the source of LD28 water pumps has long since dried up,  I ran across a page where someone compared the impeller size on the

Z20-22-24 and it looked like the LD28 pump with the larger impellers and the post said it bolted on the L4 with no modification.

But there again the problem of L4 and L6 pulley offset differences.  I really don't want to use shims. I'de like to find a pulley solution.

Before too long, the source of NEW atsugi pumps for the L6's will also dry up and it would be nice to find another source of pumps.

I personally don't want to rely on the cheap stamped impeller autozone ones.

While in my search for water pump swaps, I found out that you can use an L28 water pump on an L4.  Just use the water pump pulley from

a SOHC KA in the hardbody.

post-23403-0-71209300-1422059378_thumb.j

post-23403-0-00048000-1422059391_thumb.j

For comparison, the LD28 is the new pump on the left and the Z22 pump is the right picture.  Is it my imagination that the z22 impellers look bigger

than the stock L28 pump thats to the left of the LD28 pump? They certainlay look taller. But does taller move more water? There is more

surface area but is it the length of the impeller that makes the difference?

The bigger impellers do work. There was a guy down in australia that hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to measure before and after water pressure.

Before 28 psi and after installing a larger water pump 35 psi.

post-23403-0-51197200-1422060557_thumb.j

post-23403-0-41014700-1422060571_thumb.j

Are you trying to find an LD28 analog or a stock gasoline-powered L28 analog?  You have the L4 pump, don't you have an L28 pump?  

I have an L28 pump to take measurements from.  Not really clear what you're asking.

I picked up a cheap L16 original atsugi water pump and have started researching to see if it will fit my L28.  I know about

the pulley offset problem and was wondering if anyone has swapped water pump pulleys from another datsun to correct

the offset problem.

That narrows it down.  The LD28 pump is typically used by people that want more coolant flow.  The cast impeller pumps are commonly available though for the typical L28.  The LD thing confused me.

Still not totally clear though, to me.  I think that you're saying that the height of the water pumps are different, putting the pulley mounting flange closer/farther from the front of the engine.  You didn't say specifically but it looks like you're assuming that the L$ pump impeller will fit the L28 timing cover and bolt up correctly, and the only issue is the pulley mounting flange offset.

Anyway, looks interesting.  If you supplied some measurements people could check their pulleys.

Short answer, for me, is no I have not tried this. I do have some L28 pumps that I could measure though.  As I said.

According to Advanced Auto the '83 Maxima Diesel pump has the same part number for a '72 240Z.  It's a remanufactured Atsugi if you look at the pictures.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/driveworks-water-pump-remanufactured-57-1016/20420100-P?vehicleIdFromReq=-1&isAllVehicle=false&vehicleIdSearch=18855&searchTerm=57-1016&showTitle=#

That narrows it down.  The LD28 pump is typically used by people that want more coolant flow.  The cast impeller pumps are commonly available though for the typical L28.  The LD thing confused me.

Still not totally clear though, to me.  I think that you're saying that the height of the water pumps are different, putting the pulley mounting flange closer/farther from the front of the engine.  You didn't say specifically but it looks like you're assuming that the L$ pump impeller will fit the L28 timing cover and bolt up correctly, and the only issue is the pulley mounting flange offset.

Anyway, looks interesting.  If you supplied some measurements people could check their pulleys.

Short answer, for me, is no I have not tried this. I do have some L28 pumps that I could measure though.  As I said.

Do you have any water pump pulleys that have 4 holes and are from other datsun engines. i.e. A12 , E15, KA?

There's a whole big  thread on Hybridz about the LD pumps.  Apparently, the original LD pumps pushed more coolant so people wanted them for their performance engines.  But they don't make them anymore so the parts places are selling the gasoline pumps as LD pumps, or getting them mixed up.  There are subtle differences in the pump body and blades.  Some people ordered LD pumps and got gas pumps, some got LD pumps.  And, for a while, the cast impeller pumps were hard to find,m apparently, only the stamped impellers were available.  And they weren't very good.

That's all I know.  I'm always looking for easy part swaps though, so if a cheaper L4 pump will do the job with just a different pulley, that would be neat.  The main reason I posted...

According to Advanced Auto the '83 Maxima Diesel pump has the same part number for a '72 240Z.  It's a remanufactured Atsugi if you look at the pictures.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/driveworks-water-pump-remanufactured-57-1016/20420100-P?vehicleIdFromReq=-1&isAllVehicle=false&vehicleIdSearch=18855&searchTerm=57-1016&showTitle=#

Yes they will fit but its not the same pump. Its the impeller size thats different. 

There's a whole big  thread on Hybridz about the LD pumps.  Apparently, the original LD pumps pushed more coolant so people wanted them for their performance engines.  But they don't make them anymore so the parts places are selling the gasoline pumps as LD pumps, or getting them mixed up.  There are subtle differences in the pump body and blades.  Some people ordered LD pumps and got gas pumps, some got LD pumps.  And, for a while, the cast impeller pumps were hard to find,m apparently, only the stamped impellers were available.  And they weren't very good.

That's all I know.  I'm always looking for easy part swaps though, so if a cheaper L4 pump will do the job with just a different pulley, that would be neat.  The main reason I posted...

Exactly, cheaper and better quality and possibly higher water pump pressure (z22 pump) using  nissan parts with an easy pulley swap.  Its still in the mail. I will measure the pulley offset when it arrives.