IGNORED

[2015] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

For any future reference, those guys that say a glass pack works ok as long as it's long enough (longer is quieter) didn't use this one. A 28" thrush glass pack is definitely way too loud for any kind of street use, but worth a good laugh, lots of stares and what feels to be slight butt dyno gains. Louder than anything, ever, loud enough to burn out a headlight I'm saying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Last week, being sick and tired of the exhaust fumes in the Z, I cut out my exhaust, bought a cheap glass pack from Canadian Tire, a 90 and some tube to fab up a side exit before the rear axle. Preliminary test seemed to reduce exhaust gas smell in the cabin, but was insanely loud so I was avoiding city driving all together. The noise this engine can make is for lack of a better word, 'sexual'.

Managed to convince myself to do a dual exit a couple of days ago and buy a single in - dual out short muffler and more pipe, the result was barely any exhaust smell, ever. I used a chambered round resonator I had, followed by the muffler and the idle was very raspy and any revs over 3000 were somewhat monotone and uneventful, and felt restricting.

Today, I bought an 18" glass pack to replace the resonator and welded it into the same location. Nicer and sharper sounding idle and revs, with a little more noise in the high end too... Still sounds kind of uneventful in the high revs. I'll try this out for a week or so before buying some tips and shortening up the tail pipes.

No exhaust fumes though!

Yeah, but with the strut towers cut off in the fashion they are, there are 'dusty' looking exhaust stains on the hatch glass above them. The fumes are pretty well pumped into the cabin as soon as I crack a window. With the side pipes this isn't happening. There are a few members on hybridz and the like who have chimed in on threads where people are asking about the plausibility of side pipe exhaust cures, who have reported success. Oddly the majority of folks are saying side pipes would make problem worse, or just post links to gasket sets or gasket replacement threads to rectify the issue for a stock car.

Now the only odor is the sweaty fuel tank residue, so that'll be attempt 3 at fixing that...

The rich idle is definitely the worst exhaust smell but it's only ever present in the garage or sitting I stagnant traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

50497df5893c449533566e919f6a5f04.jpg

A pair of Hub caps arrived today from New York via eBay in the hope that I could use one of them in place of a well worn Cap that came with my 240, they are in good condition, even though they have some patina, which I don't mind, however they are both much lighter in colour than the ones I have, looks like I'll have to get the colour matched and respray them, no great shakes really as I work for a paint manufacturer, I think the masking up will be awkward though over the chrome.

The cap on the left is one of the pair from Ebay.

I'll give it a go in the next few weeks :-)

Edited by Red7
  • Like 2

• Mike locked this topic