IGNORED

Need Some Help Please

ddezso

Fuel pressure for sure.  

There's some video on another thread about Hitachis right now, you should watch it until you get the Ztherapy DVD.

post-23570-0-28501400-1420031247_thumb.p

Or you could try running it with a fuel can, bypassing a possibly crudded up fuel tank.  Put a 2 gallon gas can in front of the radiator then put the fuel lines in it.  The other end of the one going into the pump and the small return line coming off the rail.

Ah hell I just realized it runs it just has to have starting fluid to get there.  My bad, just woke up.

• 1 year later...

I finally got this sorted out.  The fuel in my tank was basically varnish so I drained it, then blew compressed air back down the fuel lines to make sure they were clear.  I put in fresh gas and was able to get it started.  It limped along for a bit.  Clearly I'm getting fuel no problem now.

But now there's a new problem.  Once it's running it doesn't take long for fuel to start dripping out the bottom of the air filter.  It seems fuel is coming out of the carbs into the filter. After about 30 seconds I figure there was 1/8 to 1/4 cup of gas on the garage floor.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Stuck floats. This causes the carburetors to overfill, and it's coming out the vent pipes and into the air cleaner. They could be stuck from the gas turning to varnish.

If you're not familiar with tearing down SUs, you might want to consider contacting Bruce Palmer at Z Therapy for the Just SUs video.

1 minute ago, SteveJ said:

Stuck floats. This causes the carburetors to overfill, and it's coming out the vent pipes and into the air cleaner. They could be stuck from the gas turning to varnish.

If you're not familiar with tearing down SUs, you might want to consider contacting Bruce Palmer at Z Therapy for the Just SUs video.

Thanks.  Is there any way to unstick short of tearing them apart?  Z Therapy sent me these carbs (years ago)

Edited by ddezso

It worked.  Thanks!  I removed the small hoses under the float, drained what was in there (not good), and used the wee red WD40 stick to poke at the floats.  Sure enough one of them was stuck.  After one false start, then letting it sit for a couple of hours it's now running.  I can tell it hasn't for a while so tomorrow I plan to let it get all warmed up.  Anything to know about running one of these that's sat without running for around 2 years?