IGNORED

Silver Soldering Jets

grannyknot

I am going to try and teach myself triple DCOE tuning over the next year

or so. If I can learn how to get the carbs tuned 90% I'll be happy.

I'm paying $600 every time I take the car into the triples guru... so that has to stop!

If one man can do it, another man can do it.

Wondering if anyone can give me some insight on silver soldering jets?

I have just purchased a set of jet drills, metric and imperial along with a small hand drill.

Thanks,

Chris

The soldered jets are test mules that will be used only to explore.  Once you find the sweet spots then buy real jets to match.

You only have to solder when you down size a hole. Clean the jet in vinegar then a small dab of flux then fine lead solder (silver is too hot). Try not to have too much flow on the nose where the jet seals against the carb body. The goal is to flow into the hole only. A butane or propane torch to warm the jet enough to flow the solder is all you need.

Buy a set of small holed jets to start with and drill up and pass through your desired hole size.

You should invest in a wideband too. It will "see" what is going on.

Practice  soldering and drilling using a big drill bit first  (1.5mm or more) so as not to easily break it (small ones are delicate) . You can also develop your technique too.  The guy in the video seems to solder with the drill in the hole then spins it out when the solder is cold. This could be interesting with non-solderable wire of various thickness's. 

Try using a pin vice too.

Good tips here: 

Because it's cheaper, and you can do it yourself in a matter of minutes without any special equipment.

Think of it as a prototyping / tuning exercise. Solder the jets closed, drill them out smaller than you think you'll need, and then work your way up from there by drilling them out larger, a little bit at a time, until you get the performance you desire. Then once you've got that size nailed down, buy (or make) real jets that are of the size you found works best.

I suspect motorcycle, "jet kits" are much more common than on cars, and certainly cheaper.

Or you could spent thousands of $$ on machining equipment and then spend a multitude hours of unpaid labor making your own....  :)

This is the part that threw me off.  A selection of jets in a box which I referred to as a "jet kit"  for a motorcycle is under 100 bucks and generally universal.  You can pull out whatever the bike came stock with and go up or down several sizes.I found this on fleabay, its similar to what i use for bikes and listed to work with a DCOE 40

post-22465-0-75481400-1418056015_thumb.j

I am going to try and teach myself triple DCOE tuning over the next year

or so. If I can learn how to get the carbs tuned 90% I'll be happy.

I'm paying $600 every time I take the car into the triples guru... so that has to stop!

If one man can do it, another man can do it.

Wondering if anyone can give me some insight on silver soldering jets?

I have just purchased a set of jet drills, metric and imperial along with a small hand drill.

Thanks,

Chris

$600 bucks!! Damn..obviously I'm charging too little for Tuning carbs. I usually charge Lunch or Dinner for tuning Webers or Mikuni's..... Gonna have to up my prices from WhiteSpot  :P 

• 4 months later...