IGNORED

Led Dashboard Bulb Type

jalexquijano

I am having an issue with one of the direction arrows light on my speedometer as it remains lighted when i turn the light of the car on. I thought the problem was the turn signal switch, so i unplugged it. the left arrow still remain on. I started to jiggle the socket and now it does not turn on, so i believe the bulb must have burned. How can i fix this without pulling the complete dashboard apart?

What kind of White led bulbs should i purchase to replace all these bulbs? Any supplier and part number?

Anyone???

• 2 weeks later...

Replacing all the bulbs with LEDs is a nice idea (I did it, details here), but I also had the dash out of the car.  The stock rheostat dimmer does not work with LEDs (it is either on or on)

I also recall that some of the bulbs are not chassis-grounded, which means an LED bulb likely wouldn't work as I learned with my glovebox light experience.

I agree 100% with Kurbycar32 - stick with the stock bulbs.  If you can wedge your body upside down under the dash, you MIGHT be able to pull out the bulb (the bulb/socket combination is a press-fit).

-----------

WoodWorkerB

• 2 weeks later...

Which model and Brand of leds will last longer and illuminate better on all the gauges of the instrument panel? Is the following Brand reliable or should i stick with superbright leds?

http://www.amazon.com/Cutequeen-White-Lights-5-SMD-64111/dp/B00EZIQP6G/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1418421033&sr=1-9&keywords=leds+ba9s

As far as brands go I have no idea but I just purchased these    https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/bayonet-bulbs/ba9s-led-bulb-4-led/6/    and so far have only installed in the oil, fuel and clock gauges.  They do dim with the rheostat dimmer on my 77'.  I've noticed that with the less power drawn by the LED's my Speedo and Tach are brighter with their original bulbs. Haven't decided whether or not to change them also.  The Difference in light color temp between white led's and the incandescent bulbs is equaled out if you leave the green tinted light filters in your gauges.  Also got this for my map light  https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/919/  and it works great. 

You should be able to remove each gauge without removing the dash. That information is in the FSM.

Also, check your exterior turn signal bulbs first.  If a bulb is bad, that would cause your turn signal to not operate

I have pulled my dash to do crack repairs, and have decided to replace the incandescent bulbs with LED. I've already bought the LEDs have replaced the old 194's with them. My Q is, which is the wire that feeds power to these bulbs? I want to test them before I put them back into the dash.

Thanks all!

Curtis

• 1 month later...

Okay just logged in to superbrightleds website. Can someone point out which of the following models contained here shall i purchase for the gauges on the dashboard of a 1972 Datsun 240z?

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/vehicle/1972-nissan-240z--instrument-general/43-40--6008/

I will be using them with the Green plastic in each gauge to mantain the stock look, so i will need them powerfull enough

I bought some inexpensive LEDs off ebay and installed them in my 620. They're so white and bright that the green lens has almost no effect. The LEDs are too long to install in the tach because they hit the green lens. I have one LED partially resting in the socket and nothing in the other socket and it's still much brighter than when I had two bulbs in there. The LEDs are amazing. I can read everything on the tach and speedometer. I can even read the odometer at night. If you want the green light then I suggest getting green LEDs. The green lens does nothing.

Chuck

• 1 month later...

If you want the green light then I suggest getting green LEDs. The green lens does nothing.

You should always get an LED the same color as the filter. E.g. Amber LED for front blinkers, red LEDs for brake lights.

What size of leds? we know its BA9s, but what size?

I have part numbers and photos on my web page  woodworkerb.com changing instrument lighting.  One type for general illumination (e.g. under the green bubbles) and one type for focused illumination (e.g. blinkers, high beam)

Edited by bvolken