IGNORED

One Z At Mecum This Friday

Z fan

Carl,

I will try to clarify. I saw a nice blue 240z maybe a 71 hit in the front, I think it was in Chicago. I wondered if it was someone's car from the forum blue on blue in good shape, nice looking clean car. The hood was toast, the radiator support and the radiator, Who knows what else, you never know until you see the car in person. I buy cars from all over the US. That car had a salvage title, they tell you the sale document. So the car is currently wrecked needed parts and paint and had a branded title. Sold for over $3,000 plus fees and shipping. I wasn't interested at that point because I would be concerned about rust. The paint could look good in the pictures and then the car gets here and you find out the whole underside is rusted out. For $4000 I can find a car locally that I can actually inspect and in reality it is more than $4000. You have to add the hood, rad support, rad, frame work? paint work. So add a couple grand. For $6000 I know I could find a nice car within a few hundred miles or even buy a very low rust car out of the southwest and have it shipped. I was sort of surprised the cars went that high at the salvage auction.

As for the car I am building now. If an adjuster looked a the car with wrinkled inner fenders both sides. The frame work, damaged radiator support, radiator, hood, etc. That would be more than enough to total a Z that was not in very good shape. So my point was many of us have cars that have been repaired, some with significant damage that would be salvage title cars but escaped that fate for whatever reason.

I agree with you description of how the insurance process has worked over the years, case in point is early vettes getting pulled from junkyards and repaired because the cars have appreciated so much.

Did I cover all of the questions?

C

Hi Steve - 

Given the usual negative replies about the "price of Z's" - - - I said; "we would call it a $3500.00 car" -  a somewhat sarcastic remark - did not really mean to put an actual value on it. LOL

On the other hand - how much would you pay for a Salvage Titled 240Z? Would it make any sense to pour much money into it - knowing that most people won't want it.? About the only reason to buy a Salvage Titled Z - would be an extremely low price, and knowing that is what you would hope to get back out of it when you try to resell it.

Still way to many Z's with good titles out there…  that don't have a shinny new paint job hiding who only knows what.

FWIW,
Carl B

Hi Carl,

Yes, I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not, so that's why I had ask if you were really serious about the $3,500. figure.

You also made some good points about salvage cars- you really don't know what you are getting into with a salvage car. 

Steve