IGNORED

Upgrade electric system, alternator, Fusible Links, remove External Voltage regulator

tamo3

Slowly, tracing wiring diagram and draw simplified schematic around fusible link and ignition relay & fusebox for '77 280z and '75 280z.

Now I understand how to install IGN relay and additional fusible link. I guess. :D

post-24248-0-87750900-1425486842_thumb.j

If you find any mistake, let me know!

Thanks,

tamo3

Hi Tamo, Great start. I got a couple comments:

1) The black/yellow wire to the starter connects to the solenoid pin on the starter, not the same place as the B+ connection.

2) You've got wire coloring mistakes on the 77 ignition relay.

Also, this simplified diagram makes it clear how there's always some sort of current limiting device between the alternator and the battery. That's the point I was talking about in your other thread where you were talking about fuse and wire size upgrades.

I didn't spend a lot of time on the 75 diagram. I've got a 77 so I'm much more familiar with that one. Hopefully someone with lots of 75 experience can chime in on that year?

Hi Tamo,

I see another small fault in the 77 wiring. The first red fusable link (counting down from top of diagram) is spliced into the main link (black fusablelink) wiring. It should go to the combination switch, terminal nr 6 High beam circuit. Its an independant circuit for safety reasons I think.

It would be one of the last two links if you wanted to get the physical relation in the diagram. Its in the second block with the two red links.

Looks good so far and it looks like you are enjoying it as you go. This mod seems simple to do, but in reality you need to consider a lot more than just changing a gauge. What you are doing looks well thought out.

Chas

• 2 months later...

It's been long time.

busy at working now a days.

Travel to Shanghai, China and skip visiting Japan  :(

The last time I went to Shanghai was more than 10 years. It become beautiful clean city now!

And happy people dancing at busy street every night.

Anyway, thank you Chas, Captain for your feedback. 

I updated schematic.

post-24248-0-94545500-1431572029_thumb.j

77_IGN_schematic.pdf

How does this look?

Regards,

Takashi

Edited by tamo3

Hi Tamo,

Looks better. Two small issues on the 77 diagram:

1) The white wire going to the ignition relay should be white/red instead of just white.

2) The black/blue wire you have going to the coil doesn't go directly to the coil. It goes to the ballast resistor.

Other than those, the 77 version looks good.

I didn't review the 75 version.

Thanks Captain.

Now, I'm working on the IGN relay.

I saw photo of new IGN relay.

post-24248-0-90172000-1431993976_thumb.j

part number (PN: 25230-89958) and cost $60 or more....

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/72897-280z-ignition-relay/?p=696663

But don't see schematic for easy wiring.

So, I draw one.

post-24248-0-53041200-1431993635_thumb.j

Do you think this is correct wiring?

Thanks,

tamo3

Tamo, Your schematic for the ignition relay looks correct to me.

By the way... Every time I look at the ignition relay on the factory wiring diagrams I ask myself "Could they possibly have drawn that thing in a more convoluted way?" It's like they TRIED to make if confusing!    :)

Thanks Captain for checking!

By the way... Every time I look at the ignition relay on the factory wiring diagrams I ask myself "Could they possibly have drawn that thing in a more convoluted way?" It's like they TRIED to make if confusing!    :)

I totally agree. They might try to make user not easy to trace diagram and hidden force to user to sent Z car to Datsun dealer...

• Like 1