IGNORED

Raw Gas Smell Inside the Car While Driving

Z-Heap77

Before everyone burns me up about using the search feature, I promise you that was the first thing I did. I used several posts to help me search through and check the connections at fuel pump, tank, expansion tank, filter, fuel rail and everything in between. All connections are tight, no hoses are ripped or failing, and there's no evidence of any gas leaking anywhere. So why is there such a crucial raw gas smell while driving?

It only happens when the car is driving and typically at decelleration. Doesn't have to be after a hard accelleration, but take your foot off the gas and the cabin becomes full of fuel smell. I can't smell it at any other time. I can't get the car to recreate the smell by revving it while sitting in the driveway.

Any ideas what I should look at or how to make it happen while not driving so I can try to identify the source of the smell?

This is a suddenly new issue that we hadn't ever experienced through the many years of owning the car. Exhaust smell has been an issue, but whatever, it's an old car. However the fuel smell is so strong there's no way to ignore it.

The BCDD system is designed to clean up the exhaust from excess HC (unburned fuel) under certain conditions. there's actually a little gizmo on the speedometer that measures road speed, and engine speed is involved too. Has anything else malfunctioned or have you modified some things?

Zed,

We had done some mods recently which I had a post going for a while because we had a terrible time getting proper fuel pressure after the mods were done. We swapped to a non-egr intake and palnet fuel rail. We installed new injectors, FPR, pump, filter, and hose. When the car was getting warm it would lose power almost completely leaving us stranded a couple of times. Let it sit and cool off and we could drive it for a short period of time again. It was losing fuel pressure. In the end it turned out to be that we forgot to fill up the coolant after the intake swap so the temp sensor was getting some nasty info that had seriously negative affects on the car.

Anyway that's been remedied and the car is running great, however we're left with this raw gas smell that we can't find the source of. Hopefully that gives you a little insight into our history and might help you to lead me in the right direction.

I would two general sources:

(1) Gassy exhaust smell entering the cabin through rotted or misfitting hatch seals (or rust hole in body).

(2) Problem with fuel tank ventilation system or filler neck. It's possible you have a leak in one of your vent hoses, such that when the gas sloshes just right, you get a little glurp of raw gas inside the car, behind your rear passenger trim panel (where the fuel/air separator and filler neck run). If you haven't replaced all of those hoses, you should. Also check the nipples on your fuel/air separator (the big, irregular can-like thing behind the trim panel). Mine had a cracked braze joint one one of the nipples that sometimes leaked raw gas.

It's the one that goes to the carbon canister.

BTW, don't apply much pressure. Remember that it's a large tank.

Besides that, there's a weird little check valve between the vent system and the carbon canister. It actually flows two ways, but it flows easily in only one direction. That might make it difficult to pressure test from the carbon canister connection.

If I were you, I'd just replace the hoses for peace of mind. If they're as old as the car, then they're due.

Edited by FastWoman

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure its gas and not exhaust? As Z drivers we get to become aficionados on the subtle differences!

Another thing I have found it the rear wheel wells will have seams that have opened up. Put a drop light under neath in the well, and then open the back and remove the interior panels and look for light. I had to reseal them with RTV or silicone and it helped alot.