IGNORED

Replacement tar mat

Zup

• 2 years later...

12 hours ago, zspert said:

Folks, I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble but original sound deadener is still available from Nissan by the sheet. Just need a cooperative Nissan parts guy/gal.

Would you happen to have a part number for that?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/11/2019 at 10:47 PM, zspert said:

Folks, I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble but original sound deadener is still available from Nissan by the sheet. Just need a cooperative Nissan parts guy/gal.

G5930-89902 is discontinued.  This one brings up a diagram at this site which is not a 240Z, but still shows it is available: G5930-89904.  It may or may not be.  I've ordered items from that site that have a price, but turn out not to be available any longer.

Many thanks for the heads-up on this. I gave up and had the original thick sound deadener at the firewall cleaned and deodorized at a fire restoration company. Then I re-installed it.

I just saw the other day that Eastwood is selling it in sheets. Just in the past 5 days or so.

Unfortunately it's too late for my car.

• 11 months later...

G5930-89902 is discontinued.  And though I was able to buy G5930-89904, it appears to be about .060" in thickness, and what I took out of my 1971 from the tunnel (floor "mat" was already gone) is about .090".  Package shelf appears to be about .090" as well.  It would be nice to confirm original thickness of the pieces for the floor and the tunnel, as well as the rear deck, for US cars that had them. For the record, I measure my 6/1971 tunnel pieces at about .090".  I will measure the package shelf piece and edit this post to include that information.

Edit - 5/9/2020:

The original package shelf sound deadening material is also about .090" (Same as tunnel).  I bought a pack of the Wurth sound deadening mat and unfortunately they have improved the product.  It now has cloth on the upper surface which is white/silver to my eye.  It no longer looks black like the original Datsun stuff.

IMG_20200509_093958.jpg  IMG_20200509_094012.jpg

Edited by inline6

• 1 year later...

I have just completed creating templates in cad format of all of the tar mats in the interior of my 7'70 car, so that I can reproduce them later, after my floors have been repaired/replaced. I may not be removing all of my tar mats but I created the full set in case I need it. I have uploaded the last of these in .pdf and .dwg formats to our downloads in case they may be of use to others. Here is a link to the location:

Here are a couple of pics showing the state of my tar mats before I started any removal, and a few pics from when I was doing the test fitting of the templates. I found that for the most part the thickness is approximately 2mm (0.08"). The front section of the transmission tunnel tar mat was a little thicker, more like 2.5+mm (0.10").

20200704_155648_HDR.jpg

20210729_055217.jpg

20200724_133410.jpg

20210729_060459.jpg

20210819_073836.jpg

The transmission tunnel area was definitely the most challenging part of the job. On the templates I have added lines that show the approximate centers of the bends and also lines on the rear template to indicate how the front tar mat overlaps the rear. Here are examples of what the templates look like.

TEMPLATE EXAMPLE 1.JPG

TEMPLATE EXAMPLE 2.JPG

If you use these I would recommend test fitting paper versions, before cutting any tar mat material.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 4

11 hours ago, inline6 said:

Top notch, Mike!  Well done.  I haven't taken the time to make my own template for the hatch area yet.  The other ones I have already done and mostly installed replacements (linked if anyone would like to check that out).  I will benefit from your work and sharing here.  Thanks very much.

Thanks, and glad to hear you might make use of the rear deck templates. I remember checking out the the work you did last year on tar mat replacement and it was the inspiration for creating my own templates.

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/20/2021 at 9:15 AM, CanTechZ said:

Thanks, and glad to hear you might make use of the rear deck templates. I remember checking out the the work you did last year on tar mat replacement and it was the inspiration for creating my own templates.

I just downloaded these. They aught to be a great help. Thanks for investing the time!

C

• Like 1

• 1 month later...