IGNORED

83' zx 5 speed in 78 280z

newjerz

I know there are similar threads but none that deal with my specific trans and I would really like to be sure before starting. So I've gathered from reading other posts that the transmission should bolt right in but I'm unsure about all of the extra wire ports that seem to be on the 83' trans. Can they be left in connected? And is there anyway I can tell if this transmission is from a turbo or non turbo version (I hear the non turbo is better) any feedback would be great will post a pic if that will help expedite the process

I put an '82 ZX tranny into my '73 and had no issues beside a 1/4" conflict with an aftermarket exhaust. The only electrical I remember hooking up was the reverse light. Just make sure your pressure plate and throwout bearing collar go together.

The non-turbo transmission does not require a new driveshaft. The turbo transmission does. The turbo transmission has a very different shifting mechanism. The non-turbo will look almost identical to what you have now. That's one way to tell, if you're already sure that it's an 83 280ZX transmission.

The extra switch wires can just be left disconnected.