IGNORED

ABOUT TO BUY THIS 240Z.. What u Reckon?

Hawkwind

OK... I'm about to buy this 240Z in Sydney.

I've got a pic here.. just wanting to know what you guys can tell me about the car.

It's a 05/71 model.

Were these ones anygood. i wanted the earliest possible model i could get my hands on because my dad reckons the first were the best.

Give us some feed back fellas..

Oh yer.. hahahah how cool is the 240z/350z add on the tele during the cricket ROFL

post-3587-141507924871_thumb.jpg

ROFL what is with the water in the first picture are those tears of joy !!! From what I have heard of the lack of Zs , unless they want an arm and your first borne , what is the problem , she looks great. :classic:

• 2 weeks later...

OK...

Umm.. well he wanted $5200 for it in the beginning..

that's Aussie Dollars.. The interior is a little rough. Cracks in the Dash and all that.. But the body seems to be pretty straight.

I didn't have a look at the car personally. Had a mate go around and look at it. I live about 3000km away from Sydney.

I managed to beat him down to $4200 over several weeks :D

The thing is i'm not too worried about the condition of the interior.

I don't want to really keep my Z that original anyway. I've got my 1969 Datsun 2000 Sports to try and keep Original.. but my 240z is going to be my play car.. if u get what i mean.

The guy reckons that the car has been lowered.. he talked to the fellas that put the cars on the trucks, and they said there mioght be some problem loading it.. and won't accept responsibility for any damage. But that aint a real problem, i should be able to get someone to drive the car for me instead.

Lowered though.. hmm..

And he's put a different diff in it too.. reckons it makes it easier to drive around town. This is worrying me a little. I won't to know why he had to replace the diff in the first place.. he probably thrashed it or something.

But anyway. I think i'll be getting a good deal in the end.

The fella told me all the rust was cut out of the car when it was repainted 5 years ago. I have no idea what is hiding under that paint. Hope it is ok though.

What i wanted to know is what you guys know about this actual car. I know every year they brought out modifications and the like. And i was told that the first ones were the best. ie. 70 models.

Just wondering what the 71 5th month versions are like..

??? :ermm:

Hope the deal works out for you. The picture looks good, and the price seems reasonable, there are other data information plates and positions you need to check before you buy any Zed. Heed my warning this car is in the Aussie capital of re-birth and it was not a white car from the factory.

The body number should read HS30 00738 and this will be stamped on the fire wall just above the brake booster behind the electrical loom and washer hose.

On the right hand forward strut tower low down is the manufacturers data plate, this will also have the body number engine number and hp limit, these two items the engine combined with the compliance plate should all match up. It is probably all ok but it pays to be safe. No manufacturers plate can prevent rego in Australia.

To the positive the compliance data regarding ADR's is correct for 5/71

I appologise for playing the devils advocate here but it may save big bucks.

good luck

Steve

:( :(

Just Buy it. For $4200 its a pretty good buy if it's not too rusty to start with. If it looks like a metal patchwork quilt on the otherhand....maybe give it a miss.

Mine cost $4200.

not much rust, repainted 5 years ago, rust cut out (tiny bit where frame rails end, some in sills), Engine needs new rings (rebuild)

Paint job is crap and need strip and repaint to find and remove all the bog and surface rust. (photos in my gallery)

so yours sound like a better buy for the same price. My interior wasn't too bad though.

Drive down with a friend and drive it back.

Or get someone to transport it that doesnt have issues with it being lowered.

A mate had a REALLY LOW supra shipped by train from adelaide to perth with no dramas, so i dont see that it should be a problem

• 2 weeks later...

Well... The car turned out to be a piece of $^!#.

Dad went down to sydney on other business and had a look at it while he was there.

He reckons there wasn't a straight panel on the thing.

And the roof and bonnet showed evidence of past hail damage or the like.

So anyway. he went around to some guy that lubs his 240's

He had like 4 for sale or something, and 30 wrecks out in his yard.

Dad bought a white one that he thought was pretty good.

They guy also gave my dad some advice.

He said, look if this is the car that you love, don't spend money trying to do up an old P.O.S but instead buy one that someone has already put a lot of money into.

Cause there was this 260z there too for 16000$.

This guy had put 40000$ into it, but he had a stroke and can't drive it anymore. So his wife is selling it.

He reckons.. that the kind of car u should look to buy.

That's always debatable though, cause only you know what you want your car to look like i suppose, unless u find one where u agree with the last owners tastes in certain matters.

Anyway :D The car will be here tomorrow after a 3-4 day drive up from sydney !

Only one more sleep, i can't wait :D

YAY 240Z for me !

Later lads.

Yep, your friend is right.. if you want to restore a Z it's cheaper to buy one that's already done. Of course, you don't get the satisfaction of doing the work yourself and of course you dont get to choose what it looks like at teh end, like you said. That's the price you have to pay if you want to save money ;)

Upload pics when you get yours! :love: