IGNORED

My Datsun 280Z "Rustoration"

HaZmatt

I picked up my valve cover from the powder coater yesterday. Its red wrinkle coat but not as much wrinkle as I thought . Nice texture though. 

post-28616-0-27990500-1418580400_thumb.j

post-28616-0-59585500-1418580431_thumb.j

Also I got my passenger side regulator from a fellow forum member zKars. Good guy! Now I have 2 fully functioning doors.

post-28616-0-15368500-1418580750_thumb.j

post-28616-0-70034900-1418580792_thumb.j

post-28616-0-57200500-1418580811_thumb.j

And I received my new center console from MSA. I took advantage of their free shipping over black friday.

post-28616-0-90149000-1418580899_thumb.j

post-28616-0-23093700-1418580916_thumb.j

post-28616-0-11506400-1418580930_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Well....my motor showed up today. Not sure if I should be excited or pissed off. I guess a little of both. My entire interaction with Rebello Racing has been absolutely awful. 

First off, this isnt even my block. Different numbers. I told him in the beginning that I wanted it to remain a "numbers matching" car so I would like to use my block. Which I know this isnt a huge deal, its not like its a concourse car but still, I have no idea why he switched blocks on me.

Second. Absolutely ZERO communication! The only time I talked to him is when I would call him and ask how things are going. I didnt even get a call from him to tell me that it was done! The shipping company called me.

Third. Absolutely ZERO paperwork. No dyno sheet (even after I asked him for one), No receipt, no invoice, no spec sheet, no anything! Ridiculous!

I can go on and on......valve cover is leaking, missing parts (engine hoist brackets, intake manifold studs, etc). And all of the bolts on the carbs are barely finger tight. So I know these carbs weren't used on a dyno or tuned for this motor like he said. I doubt the motor was even dyno'd. I paid nearly a $1000 to have him dyno and tune the motor!

Also he told me 6-8 weeks, hahaha. 8 months it took. And he charged me well over the original quoted price!

Im not sure what to do, I guess i'll just put it in and get it tuned somewhere local. Its just frustrating that I waited so long and paid big $$$ and feel like Ive been ripped off. I just hope the motor runs as good as his reputation is. 

Ayways heres some pics.

post-28616-0-17942000-1420772698_thumb.j

post-28616-0-15320700-1420772737_thumb.j

post-28616-0-06958500-1420772760_thumb.j

post-28616-0-52563200-1420772794_thumb.j

post-28616-0-95293000-1420772816_thumb.j

Your experience with Robella really sucks! I'd be pissed too. Definitely ask for a refund on the dyno and tuneup. If having the original block is important enough to you, I'd ask for a refund, ship it back, and get your old engine back if possible. At least let him you're mad enough to consider it. I'm surprised he's still in business. Sounds like there's a void for another Z engine builder to step into, one that can type emails and take care of his customers that pay his bills. Your car looks awesome! Nice work.

Ken

• Like 2

I can imagine you not being very happy (borderline freaking out) after reading all that you have gone through.

Just wondering what preperation work is done to the head. Doesn't look chemical cleaned with the rust colourin the water jacket. For all the time and money, you would expect a complete package.

Hope the engine lives up to his reputation.

Chas

sorry to hear this story... sucks to have something like that pour cold water on your build, especially since you were making such great progress.

at this point, we can only hope that you get it running well enough that this experience quickly fades.

i've built a couple custom bikes, and it seemed there was always a roadblock right when i started getting momentum up. parts would take crazy time to arrive, service providers would flake out, things wouldn't fit like i thought, etc. and i would get all worked up about it. a buddy with a few more years of experience kept reminding me that the setbacks are part of the process, part of the struggle. he has a real zen-like approach to projects, and gets great results with supreme patience. 

i'm not there yet... still get antsy to get it done, and none of this really helps you at this moment of frustration, but in a few months when you're laying 11's up and down the block in your badass z it'll be hard to remember this little hiccup :)

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your concern. Okay, after taking some time to calm down and having a few drinks...I called Dave at Rebello.

Apparently my block that I sent to him wasn't usable due to the cylinders needing to be bored to far. After being bored out the cylinder walls still had pits in them. So he made the decision to replace the block. Which I am ok with, I just wish he would've called and told me.

He also emailed me my receipt and dyno sheet. He assured me that these carbs were used during the dyno, just with a different intake manifold. That would explain the loose nuts. I can also smell fuel in the carbs.

So I may have over reacted a little, he was and has been friendly on the phone he just seems like hes always in a hurry. This is also the first motor I've sent out to get rebuilt so I didn't really know what to expect. I guess all I would complain about would be the lack of communication and the time it took but as long as its a good product in the end.....I will be happy.

Here are the specs.

L28 with N42 head

3.0L Stroker

89mm Cast Pistons

L24 rods with ARP bolts

Turbo oil pump

63DI 109 Hot B Cam

Triple 45 DCOE Weber Carbs

Port & Polished head

Port matched intake

11:1 compression

Dyno Sheet:

post-28616-0-02485600-1420864378_thumb.j

So...... nice solid torque from 4200 to 6500 and a peak HP of over 300. I'm beginning to get excited again!   :D  :D

• Like 3

Good to hear he had good reason for swapping the blocks. Its a pitty he didn't communicate it along the way and you had to call him to learn about it. Nice specs.

Im wondering why he used a different manifold, since yours is ported and matched to the head. It can only think its because he has a special manifold so he can connect extra equipment for tuning and testing and you get a clean manifold when its finished.

Chas