IGNORED

My Datsun 280Z "Rustoration"

HaZmatt

First off, you are making awesome progress with your build. I love the attention to detail! Keep the pics coming.

I have a ZX 5spd in my '71 240z and it still has the stock R180 diff in it. I don't know what gears are in it but I know its not anywhere near 3.90. However, cruising around town and even fast sprints on to highway on-ramps are no problem whatsoever. The car makes plenty of power and doesn't strain the motor. I personally like it as it lets me take advantage of the full power range of the engine.

Thank you! Thats good to hear about your 5 spd /rear diff combo. I will try my setup as it is and hopefully it will work for me.

FWIW, I used a 4:11 rear from a 200sx to replace my stock 3:36 R180. The difference is amazing. For long highway trips the 3:36 was great, very "long-legged", but for canyon carving which is what I mostly use the car for the 4:11 is terrific. I have taken the car on long road trips to SW Colorado on the beautiful twisty roads we have here ( the north side of the Black Canyon comes to mind) and I feel the 4:11 was the way to go. I turn about 3200 rpms @ 70 mph. The front diffy on Nissan 4X4 trucks is an R180 3:90, and they are also great. I started with the stock diffy, but changed after I had to shift down to first in some of the tighter corners. Enjoy the ride...I really like your resto.

Cheers, Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoying this thread! Lot of quality work being done quickly! Great color choice on the car too!

I work in Sedalia, and wondered if I could get the name and number of your painter since he's local and you seem to be pretty happy with his work?

I need some minor repair done on the z I just picked up.

Also, are you staying fuel injected with the rebello rebuild?

Also curious where you get your sem products? I need to repair my dash as well!

Edited by CoeGuthrie

Hi, I just got my SEM stuff on Amazon. I've decided to do a triple carb setup after talking to Dave at Rebello. Here is the link to my painter. His name is Ryan and does excellent work. From insurance repair to concourse quality paint jobs. Automotive Restorations and Concours Quality Paint

Funny, we just got back from eating down at Palmer Lake tonight.

Palmer Lake is a nice, quiet place to live! I haven't had a chance to really try the restaurants out since I bought my place here in July. It's on the to do list for this weekend though!

Thanks for the tips on the SEM products.

If you ever need a hand with your car, let me know. I get off work from IREA every day at 4:30 and would be glad to lend a hand just to meet a fellow z owner!

Palmer Lake is a nice, quiet place to live! I haven't had a chance to really try the restaurants out since I bought my place here in July. It's on the to do list for this weekend though!

Thanks for the tips on the SEM products.

If you ever need a hand with your car, let me know. I get off work from IREA every day at 4:30 and would be glad to lend a hand just to meet a fellow z owner!

You got a PM