IGNORED

Diagnosing Valve Train Noise

Mixelplix

On 5/21/2014 at 12:07 PM, FastWoman said:

Mixel, that racket sounds like an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold gasket. It is EXACTLY the same sort of tapping sound (yes, that sounds like knocking/rattling metal parts) as I had on a 318 in our boat. The exhaust risers were fussy to bolt down with the stainless studs, and they would develop leaks every 2 years or so, so I'm very familiar with this noise.

What I learned with that boat is that leaking exhaust gasses erode gaskets and even metal, so your having tightened the #6 bolts would likely not have fixed the leak. You've got to pull the intake/exhaust manifolds and replace the gasket.

Anyway, it's an exhaust leak. I'd bet money on it.

Take a 2 foot piece of 1/2 inch hose and hold it to your ear bone.  The other end gets touched to places in the motor.

Works really well.

34 minutes ago, Zdisease said:

Take a 2 foot piece of 1/2 inch hose and hold it to your ear bone.  The other end gets touched to places in the motor.

Works really well.

You made your point.  The posts you're quoting are over 5 years old.

• Haha 1