IGNORED

Improved jack tool Bag

TomoHawk

And you keep all that in the trailer you pull around? Hahaha

I did the same thing basically with the back deck, but the front lid is the original panel and I made a new back deck from 1/4-inch luan, screwed to the stock supports. My tool bins include jumper cables, an air pump, a quart of oil, a small spritzer of glass cleaner, some newspapers & a large shopping bag. the kneeling pad is in with the spare wheel.

I'm thinking about how to reinstall the luggage straps, that make me lose points at a Z meet, even thought I'm in the DD class. I prefer a cargo net anyway, to hold down any "luggage."

post-2169-14150828037867_thumb.jpg Right side panel, rear mounting

post-2169-14150828038355_thumb.jpg Right side, front mounting

post-2169-14150828038963_thumb.jpg Front supports reversed

post-2169-14150828039497_thumb.jpgLeft side panel

post-2169-14150828037381_thumb.jpg Tool bin lid

funny how we choose what to keep with us - my selection was based on the things i fixed when restoring the car, so it was all about the various systems and how to make emergency repairs. since i have a new battery i never thought about jumper cables (duh...) and i with my spare gone i need a plugger kit and a pump. i have a great little unit that i keep in my motorcycle emergency kit - it's a small pump that runs off the engine compression of 1 cylinder. you put it in a spark plug hole and the compression cycle runs a little piston inside the pump to fill your tire with clean air. it's tiny, about the size of a spark plug, with a length of pressure hose and a valve fitting. the thing will inflate a sports bike rear tire in a couple of minutes - way better than those little cigarette lighter air compressors. gotta get me another one for the z...

I will make an attempt to contact the eBay seller wit the fancy custom-embroidered Datsun tool roll, and see if he will make a deal, but so far, there is a total of about 3 people interested. That is not much of a quantity to impress him with.

You're welcome to do so. You might even consider a few ex$tra if the idea work# out$$?

**Ahem** ;)

I looked around today, at some stores like Sears, Harbor Freight, even a old motorcycle shop. Nobody carries tool rolls anymore.

I originally thought of making one from leather or suede, but it seems like a job with all the little pockets. Even my mom doesn't have one of those computerized sewing machines! She sewed the wedding dress for every girl on the fambily, including my cousins.

At least I do know of a lady that does the custom stuff like the Z emblem on the back of my jacket.

Edited by TomoHawk

A quick response from the eBay seller was received:

I would be happy to offer you a discount. How many are you interested in. Please phone me discuss the sale. Thank You, Carol Mullinix

Aside from a lack of punctuation, the seller seems cooperative.

OK, so I think that makes about 5 rolls?

I suppose you're on your own to decide what tools you'd put in a tool roll, but IMO, we should get a list of (required) tools:

Combination spanners: 10,12,13,14,17,19mm (duplicates?)

adjustable crescent wrench, channel-locks

Sockets

spark plug wrench

pliers, snippers

Lead hammer (not! haha)

My list is probably biased for my 280Z, so I don't need tools for carbs, points, etc.

I think there was a thread about emergency tool, but AFAIK, it wasn't decisive..

Edited by TomoHawk

I've been meaning to respond to this, but have been out of town and have not gotten to it until just now.

In any case, my kids got one of these for me for Christmas this past year. I was carrying an old plastic Sears tool box where I kept spare fuses, basic wrenches, small socket set, allens, and a few specific things for my ignition system and the Webers.

The plastic tool box didn't really rattle and actually fit quite well on the rear deck right behind the seat, but it looked awful. So they got me one of these, although mine has the "Z"' embroidered instead of the "Datsun." The same seller you are looking at on eBay sells both styles.

I can say that the roll is very well made and looks really nice sitting in the back deck of my car. The inside pockets vary in size and there are quite a few of them. It also includes 2 large cloth elastic bands that can also help to hold things down and in place. It also includes a series of small "pockets" on one end that can hold small pieces like fuses, etc. A Velcro flap covers all of these pockets so things do not fall out. All in all it is pretty well designed.

I do wish a few of the main pockets had been made a little larger, but in the end I pretty much found a way to get all of the critical tools that I carry in the roll. It wasn't easy to accommodate a standard 1/4 socket set so I ended picked up a small compact one and it fits nicely under one of the bands.

I have not taken pictures of it but if it would help you in your decision, I'd be happy to do so. Just let me know.

In the limit, it's worth the eBay asking price in my opinion. It's an even better deal if you can get the seller to give you a discount.

Mike.