IGNORED

Improved jack tool Bag

TomoHawk

The tool bag pouch you get with the car is some kind of cheap vinyl and barely holds the tools, if you know how to correctly put them in. Then there's the small, rusty, 40-year-old snaps to hold the flap closed.

Mine is already cracking along the fold of the flap.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a tool bag that is slightly longer and fuller, with a longer flap and a better closure, like a hasp or squeeze buckle? Maybe even a lining or a material heavy enough so you don't hear the tools rattling?

This would be a good group-buy item, but I'd like to get one in any case, so I can get all my jack tools and a few of the fancy aluminum wheel nuts inside. The details need to be worked-out on a prototype...

What about a deluxe tool roll? If you could fit the jack tools inside plus some spanners and tools, would that be even better?

Here is an example of a tool roll that may meet the needs.

Discussion?

Edited by TomoHawk

I think I've only had the tools out about three times in 43 years, so it really hasn't been much of an issue. An auxiliary bag, like the one referenced, might be handy for a few tools, a spare spark plug, and some wire & alligator clips.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno

I've had my tools out 12 times since I got the car in 2002. I empty the car every winter. I think that the vinyl bag would dry out or crack even if you never take it out of the car. Heat and air will deteriorate vinyl. The one in my 97 Ford is cracked, and it's in the trunk under the carpet. The zip-lok baggie containing the first Aid stuff is dried out even.

My vinyl tool case is about like new in spite of the dry desert heat for the last 30 years. On the other hand, all seals turned to crumbly carbon, wiper blades last a couple years, tires dry rot, and batteries last half as long as they should. My worst experience was with an exploding aerosol can of flat tire fixer.

An aux tool bag that would drop into the spare tire well would be dandy.

Dennis

Tomo - funny you should start this thread...

i bought my first z in november and it was supposed to be a "reliable dd". after gutting it to the pans and doing a driveway restoration i've had multiple stall-outs and one tow truck ride home. i've fixed/replaced everything that i could think of (uh-oh, dangerous thing to say!) and vowed never to be w/out tools again. i took inventory of every tool i've needed to do the work i've done to date - which is a surprisingly compact group of tools - and bought a set to keep in the car. i have 3 kits in addition to the jack bag:

mechanical - wrenches, ratchets, pliers, drivers, zip ties, gorilla tape, etc.

electrical - crimp/cutters, connectors, wire, tape, fuses, bulbs, electrical tape, etc.

fuel - clamps, clamp drivers, fuel hose, vacuum hose, spare vacuum fittings, vacuum plugs, razor knife, silicone tape, etc.

i used my daughter's sewing machine and some spare black vinyl i had leftover from another project and made 3 kit pouches, each sized for the stuff in the kit. at first i put them in the spare tire well (i ditched the hard-as-rock 35 yr old spare and lowered my back deck board) but have since made a separate hinged area up front that accesses the two tool-wells that are left over from the 240 design. - all fits well up there, including a foam kneeler pad (stolen from wife's garden supplies) which is sure nice to have if you're stalled in work clothes...

of the 3 pouches i made, the mechanical tool kit was the first and therefore the wobbliest (i got better with practice). the datsun tool roll in your link looks really nice - i'll have to check out my tool set and see how well it would accommodate the necessary items.

The Harbor Freight web site has a couple tool rolls listed. Maybe you have a Harbor Freight or similar store near you?

The Datsun tool roll I referred to has narrow pockets down the sides for tools, and small pouches with Velcro flaps on the ends (for bulbs, sockets, nuts, and loose stuff.) I think it would make a great design for our cars, maybe with just one modification- one wide pocket for the jack crank handle.

The Datsun tool roll is neat and spiffy. It even has straps with squeeze buckles and a carry-handle. But at over $50, I don't think I will get one for a while.

We ought to work out our own design. If only we could only get somebody to make up one or two for "testing?" ;)

The scissor jack itself is stored uncovered, but what about things like folding wheel chocks? You could put those in a separate bag with the jack in a tool bin.

At east we don't need to carry those old head hammers any more...

post-2169-14150828006896_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomoHawk

I took inventory of every tool I've needed to do the work I've done to date - which is a surprisingly compact group of tools -

You'd be surprised what kinds of spares some people suggest to bring:

• Gallon of coolant
  • radiator cap
  • set of wheel nuts
  • set of headlamps
  • full set of bulbs
  • Spare alternator
  • set of wheels
    spare engine

That does look like a nice little pouch. I don't carry any tire changing tools or tire for that matter but always carry a collection of various tools similar to what rossiz in post #6 describes, but I think I pull that tool kit out half a dozen times a season at car shows or group drives when someone's car needs a bit of tweeking.

Tomohawk, do you think you can get a better price from the vendor, what kind of numbers would we need to make it worthwhile?

Chris

I don't know the vendor, But someone familiar with a quantity purchase could contact him through eBay. He has a large number of those tool rolls embroidered with a lot of different emblems, so either he has been keeping things secret until now, or he does have the capability to make the items in quantity.

As an alternative, a local clothing manufacturer could be queried.

Edited by TomoHawk

here are a few pics of the tool kits i put together to keep my z running. looking at it doesn't exactly give a feeling of confidence in the car... but i can't afford to be left stranded as this is my dd. i was looking for a decent tool pouch and couldn't find one that i liked, so i just sewed these up out of leftover vinyl with velcro closures - nothing special, but does the job. the tools are also not exactly "shop grade", as i don't plan to need to use them all that often (hopefully NEVER!).

as for the jack and tire tools, i keep the stock pouch in the spare tire recess. wrapping the jack in a towel, lie it on it's side and crank it open until it presses against the spare tire attachment post in the center - keeps it from rattling around back there.

list of components is as follows:

Electrical

Multi-tool
    Various gauges of wire

Crimp terminations & connectors
    Fuses

Electrical tape

Fuel
    Fuel hose

Vacuum hose (large & small)
    Vacuum plugs

Clamps
    Zip ties

Mechanical

Spanner set
    Ratchet & common sizes + plug socket

Standard & needle nose pliers
    Razor knife

Multi-head drivers (standard + stubby)
    Gorilla tape (must have)

Silicone wrap (will fix a hose in a pinch)
    Gloves & paper towel

post-30163-1415082801003_thumb.jpg

post-30163-14150828007673_thumb.jpg

post-30163-14150828008252_thumb.jpg

post-30163-1415082800864_thumb.jpg

post-30163-14150828009232_thumb.jpg

post-30163-14150828009671_thumb.jpg

Edited by rossiz

i ditched the spare and lowered the false floor a few inches to pick up some more cargo space - actually makes quite a difference, especially towards the rear where the stock space sort of zeros out in height. i pulled out all the spacer brackets and replaced them with pieces of 1" diameter pvc pipe cut to the new length spacer (around an inch or so, depending on the location). then i made a bumper out of a bolt & lock nut in the spare tire holder and capped it with a vinyl cap so the wood deck had a soft spot to land. the wood deck needed trimming as the shock towers get larger at the bottom and i made the two side pieces (either side of the lift-up panel) a bit larger - cut 'em from 1/4" masonite.

then i cut the forward end about 8" back and put in a piano hinge. this lets the front lift up, exposing the holes for tool bins on the 240 which the 280 back abandoned. i put together a pair of aluminum angle extrusions to get the front lip up to the top of the carpet behind the seats and mounted the stock luggage stop. when it's closed you can't tell it's even there, but it lifts right up for all my tools & goodies.

post-30163-14150828036585_thumb.jpg

post-30163-14150828010646_thumb.jpg

post-30163-14150828011038_thumb.jpg

post-30163-14150828036071_thumb.jpg