IGNORED

Rubber caps to block coolant lines - NO !

Stanley

post-24191-14150827835341_thumb.jpg

Less than 6 months ago put these Dorman caps on the heater tee and head (to heater) coolant outlet. They're already shot.

Guess I'll use some tapered rubber plugs with a silicon rubber cap from

M-C (clamped over the plugs) instead, until I get the heater hooked up.

Typical mainland Chinese... looks like a cap, feels like a cap but it ain't. It's a polished turd that fakes a real cap.

Mainland China specializes in this and they are very good at it. Now that their economy is cooling, they are using even more watering-down methods.

Now I avoid everything I can from China or labelled "imported for".

For your problem, use non-chinese hose ~ 4" and 2 hose clamps. Stick a stainless bolt in the end and clamp it.

• Like 1

Dorman is an America-based company. Ultimately they are responsible for specifying and controlling product qualities. To hash it over one more time - the off-shore companies just produce to the specs. they're contracted to produce to. This is an American issue entirely.

Corporate Info

But, all I really wanted to know is what Dorman designed the parts to do. Maybe you're using vacuum line plugs on the cooling system.

Bummer. Dorman probably offers a lifetime replacement on those parts that don't work.

If you're in a hurry you could loop a section of heater hose from one nipple to the other. Won't look pretty but you'll have the right materials in the right place.

Stopped by Ace hardware and got some tapered rubber plugs, two for the 5/8" ID hose barbs, and two for the 3/4" hose barbs. Hope I won't need the corkscrew to remove them. Hate to say it, but also got a packet of Dorman caps just so I can drive until the my silicon caps from M-C get here. Will also get a stainless steel BSPT plug for the water outlet. If I looped it I'd still need to cap the 3/4" end on the tee where the manifold heater line used to hook up. Might solder a metal cap on that one, since it's no longer connected to anything.

Didn't see how bad that cap (and the other caps) was until I uploaded that shot and checked it out on the computer. Probably saved me a call to the tow truck.

Weather is warming up, so fixing the heater is moving down on the "to do" list.

Edited by Stanley

• 5 years later...

I’ve used copper end caps with a piece of copper pipe soldered in and a jubilee clip to great effect. The PO had used the bolt method which had corroded a lot reacting with the coolant.

The copper method works a treat and totally heat proof!

8110d00d7a7ac753eb8f5b691ac4991f.jpg&key=e6e32904e398384dc7ba5324984ce0aa75ce5100539015ed6c6e9899e92b2ca6

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F121665667956

• Like 2