IGNORED

Zombie Zs

Mark Maras

I want to thank everyone for the info that made it possible to bring another Z[s30] back from the grave. The previous owner bought it as a project and coud not get it running, so he sold it. Thanks to this forum here's what I found before I turned the key; missing cam oiler, oil pump & distributor-180' out, rusty float pins, valve adj.- some were set to 1/16",

Thanks to ZTherapy for the kit and CD, When I finished with the carbs I was confident that they would work. My son and I went through the list and fixed everything. Compression- between 155 - 160. We crank it over, plugs out, to see if it is oiling the cam. Looks good. Install the plugs, say a quick prayer and turn the key. OOPS, It does need a coil wire, OK, Try again, Much to our surprise and delight it springs to life and it sounds absolutely perfect, This is before balancing the carbs. I can't stop grinning.

My son says it's time to start on the brakes but for now I'm content to just start it and hear it purr. Oh yeah and maybe I'll grab a lottery ticket while my luck is running good.

Thanks to everyone, we couldn't have done it without you.

Mark in Portland

My son, 23, is a great partner to work with. He currently loves driving his 1981 RX7 but I recognize the look in his eyes when he sits in the 260. He knows that we have a lot of work to do and keeps me on track. I suspect we will be doing all this again after we are done with this one.

I've driven both cars and much prefer the Z and I think when he drives this one, he'll be hooked. Like father like son.

Mark in Portland

The tale gets even more warm and fuZZy, I came home early from work that day. We found out that my dad had passed on. 92 years old, What a life. I was sitting around feeling bummed and Alex, my son, insisted we go out and finish trying to get the Z started. An hours worth of tinkering and it was running perfect. Our moods did a 180' as we stood there grinning at each other. At that time I decided the cars name will be Spike. My dads' nickname. Kind of fitting that the day I lost him the Z came back to life. He liked my first Z. Mark in Portland

Yes, It definitely has given "Spike" a whole new meaning, Before he was named, it was an object to be worked on. Now I find that some of the up-coming projects that I was kind of dreading [replacing rusted out panels] I'm now looking forward to. I'm betting every Z out there has a name. An interesting idea for a new thread might be what is your Zs name and why did you select that name.

Thanks for your continuing support.

Mark in Portland