Arne

[2014] What did you do to/with your Z today?

Went for a 3 hour ride today. Highway 101 South to Highway 92 West toward Half Moon Bay on the coast, without much traffic until close to Half Moon Bay.

South on Highway 1 with the ocean on our right to Highway 84 East. 84 is nice and twisty through the hills.

Turned North onto 280, then East on 380, to 101 South back home. Car ran great and cool, but temp gauge acted a bit strange.

We waved at nice looking 280Z going the opposite direction on Highway 84. Was than anybody from here? Sorry, no pics as I forgot my camera.

Washed and waxed the car.

Removed the leaking 3-qt accusump with a whole lot less mess than expected. Decided to repaint the passenger side floor while it was out. Tightened up the rest of the oil line connections and then safety wired the oil sender, oil pan plug, tranny fill and drain plugs along with the diff plugs.

Will reconnect accusump tomorrow but will need to wait for a better time to start the engine other than Mother's Day on a quiet street to verify there are no new oil leaks.

Checked and tighten the bolts after changing the diff a couple weeks ago. Everything looked good. Also took the rear bumper of and straighten the brackets (po got hit very light in passanger side before i bought the car). Worked out well, bumper sits straight and you cant realy notice that its been hit.

Went for a 3 hour ride today. Highway 101 South to Highway 92 West toward Half Moon Bay on the coast, without much traffic until close to Half Moon Bay.

South on Highway 1 with the ocean on our right to Highway 84 East. 84 is nice and twisty through the hills.

Turned North onto 280, then East on 380, to 101 South back home. Car ran great and cool, but temp gauge acted a bit strange.

We waved at nice looking 280Z going the opposite direction on Highway 84. Was than anybody from here? Sorry, no pics as I forgot my camera.

The drive up north towards Point Arena is very nice, too. About 20 years ago I went from Fairfield, through Petaluma, up to Point Arena, and then down to the Muir Woods.

Went to my first car meet with the 240z. As expected it was the only 240z (they are realy rare here).

post-23183-14150828766179_thumb.jpg

I got the car out and ready for this years events around the Burg about a 2 months a go and I started to hear a strange noise in the engine area. I could not pinpoint the exact location, so I purchase one of the mechanic stethoscope's and hunted and hunted. Still unable to find it. Was like a clicking noise every so often. Even my 89 year old mother said the car did not sound right.

Well the problem showed it's ugly head about 2 weeks ago with coolant leaking from some place in the front of the engine by the alternator. So from all the info I gleaned form this site I thought I would try a new water pump. So far the noise has stopped and it is not leaking at this point.

I purchased the pump (AISIN) from Rock Auto and new bolts form Motorsport Auto. All the bolts came out with no problems and the gasket was pretty easy to get off.

Attached is a picture of the new and old parts. I was wondering if the old water pump was original, it's a AMPCO. I don't remember it being changed when I had to replace the head gasket back in 1979/80 or when I had the car worked on back in 1999.

post-13827-14150828834982_thumb.jpg

The old pump sounds and feels very rough when you spin it. Bad bearings.

Remember to use anti-seize. Regular for most things, and copper for cylinder heads and exhaust parts.

Drove the Datsun down to Costa Mesa, got there a little late, missed the awards so don't know which cars won. Saw plenty anyway. Best part for me was when two Datsun Roadsters with turbo'd twin cam engines left the parking lot. They sounded great. Nice drive back on Highway 1.

Will post a few photos here in the next day or two after I reduce them.

Spent Father's Day with my son, cleaning up the 30 year old paint job on '70 S30. Wash, Mothers Clay Bar, Auto Glym Super Resin Polish, finish with Mothers California Gold carnauba wax. I think we knocked at least 10 years off the paint job, it was a 20' car before and now it's a 10' car LOL. Thanks Chris.

Mike/Dad

post-8626-14150829065916_thumb.jpg

Very nice looking 10 footer!

Thanks, the body and paint was done in the early '80s and the paint is definitely showing it's age, some faded and checked areas. Luckily the rust repairs are holding up well, as the car is parked for winter. One day I hope to do a re-paint back to the original 918 orange.

Your '72 looks very nice, and only 5% to go, wish I could say the same. Aren't those last few points always the hardest. LOL

I finally have a car that I'd be proud to show off. I've been holding off on coming over because of that fact. I'll be at one of the Fall meetings for sure and can't wait to meet you Steve.

Just bring it out to meet with us. No one is going to turn you away because of how your car looks. At least be sure to make it out to Z Nationals. Heck you might be closer to Z1 than I am.

At least be sure to make it out to Z Nationals. Heck you might be closer to Z1 than I am.

Is that at Barber's? I live 2 blocks off highway 411 that runs into highway 78 that goes to the track. 45 minutes from my house. Or at Talladega's road course? 30 minutes from my house. I'll google that for more information. Thanks Steve.

Sorry, track day for ZNationals is going to be up toward my house. The Saturday event is going to be at Z1's facilities in Carrollton, GA.

Started cleaning on a right rear suspension piece (spare) for my 260z. Removed about 75% of the grease and oil that was left from a busted rear shock.Next on the list the A/C unit.

post-24191-1415082931458_thumb.jpgYesterday, on the way to do some work near LAX I saw this parked near the road.

So on the way back stopped at the "Proud Bird" and checked them out. I'd hoped the MIG was one of those that China sold for $150K back in the 90's, in flying condition with legal lights, etc. (shipping n.i.c.), but no. No engine etc., but still cool. When Col. Chuck Yeager tested the first one captured back in the fifties, he called it the best plane he ever flew. It out-flew the F-86 in almost every respect (according to an F-86 pilot I talked to), but the F-86 was the superior war machine due to it's guns, gunsights, pilot protection, and pilot training.

Also, that futuristic orange thing is the bell X-1, first supersonic plane, also piloted by Yeager. Also saw P-51's, WWI planes, etc.

post-24191-14150829313725_thumb.jpg

post-24191-14150829313985_thumb.jpg

post-24191-14150829314182_thumb.jpg

post-24191-14150829314381_thumb.jpg

Was cleaning out the garage today and found my Candar Ski Rack, a dealer add on accessory from 1979, price was C$30 plus C$24 labor to install.

post-8626-14150829321645_thumb.jpg

Anyone else found any cool period accessories lately.

Mike

post-8626-14150829320433_thumb.jpg

post-8626-14150829320949_thumb.jpg

post-8626-14150829321282_thumb.jpg

Put a new 3 row brass and copper 280 radiator in my '72 240 and a full shroud. Radiator fit great just hangs lower because of the added transmission line cooler cavity. Dumb a## me didn't get all the parts before I started so I'll have to wait until Monday morning for the different shape lower hose, every chain store has the upper but no lowers. Beers are on me, literally.

I pulled off the intake and exhaust on the 260Z today.

After I pulled off the carburetors, I noticed this...

post-5413-14150829326057_thumb.jpg

I knew I had an exhaust leak. I just didn't know the manifold was trying to snap in half.

I took my time and got the intake and exhaust taken off. The flash of the camera really emphasizes the magnitude of the leak.

post-5413-14150829327156_thumb.jpg

After that I got the materials to make my redneck soda blasting cabinet. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

post-5413-14150829325461_thumb.jpg

post-5413-14150829326604_thumb.jpg

Wow, it looks like there was a fire or a bomb explosion.

I made on of those with your blower shoved inside clear tubing, it works but it uses ALOT of soda and a huge mess. My neighbors wouldn't even look at me for a few days, it covered everything. Can't wait to see what you come up with, it's gotta be better than mine.