IGNORED

A Sense of Hopelessness

Alfadog

Do good mechanics exist?

I have had numerous different mechanics work on my car and it seems that every mechanic out there is a greasy-handed, all-thumbed kluts. Is it the Datsun badge that makes them think the car isn't worth looking after? Or have I just had bad luck? Or, God forbid, are all mechanics really as stupid as the ones I have met make out to be???

When I got my roadworthy, the mechanic lent on the fender with his elbow with such a force that it bent in and back out again, leaving some strain lines in the paint.

When I got my brakes looked at and the bonnet opening catch working, they told me my master cylinder was broken (well, DUH) and they fixed the bonnet by prying it open with a screwdriver. Now there is a nice chip in the paint between the bonnet shutline. Oh and he told me I needed new tyres. He must have looked carefully, as there was grease all over the wheel arches...

There are no Datsun places on the Gold Coast - the nearest one is in Brisbane.. but I think I'll drive it up there just so I know that the car will be bloody looked after. It needs a couple of things done at the moment and I'm not willing to just go to any old place as they're bound not to care.

Anyone else have similar experiences? I'm starting to begin to understand why all those people fix their own cars ... sure it takes a heap of time but you know the job will be done right...

Lachlan.

Originally posted by Alfadog

Do good mechanics exist?

They exist but are as rare as unicorns! LOL

Originally posted by Alfadog

I'm starting to begin to understand why all those people fix their own cars ... sure it takes a heap of time but you know the job will be done right...

and the Lord said, "Let there be Light!" ROFL

Welcome to the Club! Now, get out there and buy some tools and a factory manual!

Talk. Talk to your friends, talk to other car owners, talk to classic car owners. They will all be able to tell you horror stories but hopefully they will also be able to recommend a 'tame' mechanic or two...

They do exist, they do listen and they do tell the truth - its just a lot of work to sift through the dross and find them.

i am a mechanic and i work on my own car but if i took it to a shop and things like that were going on someone would be paying dearly this is for certain.

i remember when i wen to get tires on my Z. the guy stars to lift the car with a jack at the pinch weld i ran out into the bay and was flipping.

the owner says you cant be out here.

i informed the owner in not such a nice way that unless he wanted a hefty body repair and paint bill due to his careless workers, he would let me direct them on how to care for my car.

there is no way and i mean NO WAY that i would stand for service like that, grease prints, destroying my personal property.

heh if i were to do that at any of the places i worked at i would be sure to be fired.

I didn't notice the small chip in the paint when I picked up the car and it's not as if I can prove it now anyway..

As for the cracks in the paint on the fender, well that was the mistake of getting it done at a workshop which is owned my dad's friend.

:mad:

I have learned from my mistakes and now I will check over the car when I pick it up, and take action. It is hard however as old blokes dont respect an 18 year old. Most of you have probably forgotten, but the amount of zjit you get just because of your age is infuriating. I am to the stage where I would rather get dad to take the car in and act as if it is his...

Age and sex has alot to do with the way they treat you. Also your knowledge affects their 'rip off factor'. It sucks and maybe some of you might disagree with me but these things all affect the level of service you get. Now I'm not saying that all mechanics are like this but it's a sad fact that alot of them are. How many of you have heard stories of your friends wife/sister/mother being ripped off by mechanics?

Maybe visiting the mechanics with your older brother or father might yield better results alfadog.

I haven't had much work done by mechanics, however I have used two local places, both of which were great. The best way to find a good shop is to look at whats in there workshop. The engine rebuilders (they just bored it i did all reassembly) workshop full of drag cars, racing minis, model T's, sterile area humidity controlled etc. The mechanics, a nice tidy workshop, a pair of rolls royce wedding cars, mats laid over everything, and both were well priced, but if they have a shop full of good cars, chances are they are good and careful.

Ah, now there's some insight. All the places I've been so far (excep the roadworthy guys who had a Maserati (getting a rebuilt engine :S) and some Alfas outside) were pretty dirty and full of ordinary cars.

I'm taking my car to the Z Workshop now anyway. No more risks (I hope!).

I think most "good" mechanics have other skills as well and often leave the field because it's difficult to be competetive on a flat rate scale, If the going flat rate scale for changing the oil is $20 and they can't finish the job in enough time to turn profit they'll go out of bussiness, so if it takes them an extra 15min to do a quality job (floor mats, plastic over the seat, fender protector etc..etc) it eats into the profit or the quality. This works for those without a conscience because they can still sleep at night knowing they've dented your fender or chipped the paint, etc...etc. These are usually people who don't like their job, their wives, their dog, etc...etc.

Though I'm not a rich man I rarely hesitate in paying more to get the quality, and if I didn't pay more and got good service I drop in with a twelve pack next time I'm in the hood. In the long run this returns to the consumer. I've known waitressess to make $80k a year knowing that they have a low end job, but love what they do and care about those they serve. Life is a service industry!

I learned this at the age of 14 when i would mow the neighbors yard and they offer me a soda on hot summer day, some how their yard looked just a little nicer than those who would try to short change me.