IGNORED

changing wheels tires or both

cardogman1

Hello all of you.

Some may have spoke with me some not I am cardogman1. I have this 71 240 as you may know in pristine condition when it starts. I am going crazy about what wheels and or tires or both to get. Presently the vehicle has new 185 70-14 bridgestones very close to original tires. The wheels are original

and the hubcaps are also. So this is my question or questions. First should I get different tires. If I do I'm thinking Yokohoma 205 hr60 15. I want the closest thing to original option wheels. Aluminum, polished maybe chrome but that's really not original. They didn't put chrome wheels on z cars in 1971. I'm thinking centerlines.No panasports to hard to clean. Cragers maybe. Can you folks recommend wheels and do you think I should change thtires or keep what I have and instead of getting 15x7s get 14x6s. Did you get all that. Please no new designs that you would see on a cadillac escalade something vintage, muscle that kind of thing.Or should I just leave what I have for total oiginality the problem is they look horrible. Does nothing for the car.

Thanks can't wait to hear from you.

Burt ROFL

I prefer the Libre Wheels (after my favorite Panasports, which BTW are less difficult to clean than you might imagine) in 14" x 6" size. 15" rims will give you more options for performance tires, but since you chose not to use urethane bushings, I'm thinking performance wheels would not be a major priority for this car.

Your (our) options for wheels are limited due to the offset requirements of the Z which are far different from the modern cars currently produced.

Let us know what you choose, Burt!

Carl

Burt, forget American Racing if you want new wheels. They used to have a lot of choices of styles in 14 inch and 4 lug. The last time I looked, they only had one style of wheel that was available in 4 lug.:disappoin

I personally like the Panasports the best, they are a vintage look on a Z, they don't have a lot of hard places to clean like some do.

The Revolutions are OK, but I believe they have such a thick hub flange that longer studs are almost a necessity.

I believe Royce has a set on his car, you might try PM'ing him to see if he had any trouble with the wheel studs being a bit too short.

Hi Burt.

If I recall correctly, you bought a red 240Z.

I had a British Racing Green 280Z that I put 14X6 Enkie style mesh wheels (actually Western Wheels version) on that had the gold mesh with polished aluminum rims (outer portion) and 2 ear knockoffs. These wheels gave it a traditional sports car look that I like.

I've seen photos of this wheel/knockoff combo on red Z cars that look very nice.

I can't recall what size tires I had on them though. Probably 205/60/14's. I do remember they were BF Goodrich Euro t/a's. Very sticky tires, but they wore out quickly! I got maybe 25,000 miles out of a set.

Good luck and have fun!