IGNORED

'73 240z turn signal issue

Coopfan

Hi I'm not great at electrics and I am currently stumped. The turn signals on the LH side of the car only operate at the front, nothing at the rear. While the RH turn signals operate at the back with nothing at the front. The hazards work just fine with everything blinking all the way round. I was looking for pointers on how to proceed from anyone who's had a similar issue. Thanks

This almost certainly dirty contacts in the turn signal switch, rarely it is caused by the hazard switch contacts. Unfortunately, cleaning the contacts is not a job for the novice. It is very easy to break off the tabs holding the switch together and re-assembly has some tricks to it.

I believe there is a forum member that will repair/re-condition the switch but I don't remember his name. Try searching turn signal switch repair.

Actually, I don't think it's that difficult. Instructions on cleaning the switch are here: Turn Signal Repair | Fiddling With Z Cars.

For more details on the circuit itself, look here: Hazard Switch ? Brake Light ? Turn Signal Circuit Analysis | Fiddling With Z Cars

Also don't forget to check the lamp sockets for corrosion.

In the end I didnt need to even take it out. After removing the steering column shroud, I worked in some electrical contact cleaner and the problem is solved. I guess it wasn't too far gone to warrant disassembly. Thanks for pointing to it as the root cause of my issue. I was not looking forward to having to check the wiring for a short or a break.