IGNORED

76 280z NO PULSE !!

mylz

just picked up my first 280z !!

its a 76 fuel injected ALL ORIGINAL !

it sat for a couple yrs....fuel pump wrks...spark good...injectors clean.....no fuel gets to plugs....but it will start with starter fluid then die......im not getting power to the injectors !!

where do i start ??

(None of the lights / gauges are wrking)

its a 76 fuel injected ALL ORIGINAL !

..im not getting power to the injectors !!

where do i start ??

(None of the lights / gauges are wrking)

Congratulations. They're fun.

Did you actually measure at the injector connections or are you guessing? You'll need a voltmeter. Even a $4 Harbor Freight meter is better than nothing. Several things have to be in order for the injectors to open and close correctly.

You can't go wrong reading the Engine Fuel chapter. Start here - Index of /FSM

If you're working from a tiny phone screen, that's another problem.

Congratulations on your 1st one, happy days ahead if you read everything you can and take it slow on these old cars, things break easy. You could also check all the fuses in the passengers side foot well fuse box and the fusible links in front of the battery, 4 wires under plastic caps, just to be sure. Here's another helpful Tech Tip, courtesy of Atlantic Z's, http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/electricalconnections/index.html

When you say none of the lights, does that include the headlights? The running lights and gauges are on the same circuit.

Download the factory service manual (FSM). Start reading, especially the EF & BE sections. After you have looked through them, start formulating questions. Go to my blog and Blue's Tech Tips to learn more about the electrical system.

Good luck.

By the way, the more you show an effort that you tried to do it yourself, the more people will bend over backwards to help you. The S30 is a good model car to start learning about how to work on cars.

only 71k miles......has the rear as well.....was in truckee california,

blown away by the lack of rust and overall condition.....

we do ALOT of bartering.....traded a 1993 kx125 for it !!!

(dad and i definately feel this is a keeper and worth some putting som time and $$ into)

Congratulations! My first Z was a gold '75. It's a pretty color!

You should go strait to xenons30.com to download a copy of the factory service manual. It's an indispensable resource for these cars -- light years better than a Haynes or Chilton. Go to the Engine Fuel section, and start debugging. I would especially check the following:

-- power to the ECU

-- connectivity between the (-) side of the coil and the #1 pin of the ECU (signal used by the ECU to clock the injector pulses)

-- +12 to the injectors

-- good connections to injectors and drop resistor assembly (beneath master brake cyl)

-- good ECU ground

Congrats on the new ride. It sure does look straight and clean!

I have nothing to add for now that will be more enlightening that what the others said about troubleshooting it. Start with there suggestions and keep reporting back & it will come to life. ....Err, well I will add one more comment.

Once you track down your electrical and get *any* fuel squirting, just save yourself some time and stop. Pull the fuel pump. There is an intake screen in it that will most likely be clogged from old nasty gas from sitting around. It may actually be clean enough to pass fuel to start car, but unless your engine gets a clean steady supply of fuel, it's tough to get them running nice. You may be lucky, but most Z's that sit for any length of time need the tank drained/cleaned & this fuel pump screen cleaned. While it's apart install a cheap clear inline filter from the tank to the fuel pump. This will keep the crap that is still in your tank from being ingested again and spoiling your work. NOTE: This filter goes *before* the fuel pump, not after. These clear filters are only for low pressure applications. You have a high pressure stock filter up in the engine compartment by the fuel rail entry. It probably could stand being changed too, but I wouldn't do that until you have the tank/pump all checked out. Otherwise, you will just fill your new HighPressure fine particle filter with *crap*. Check the archives for good info on how-tos.

Superlen