IGNORED

E-Brake Cable Clip Removal

Dershum

Before media blast/epoxy primer, I tried to get the ebrake clips off but had no luck...figured I'd wait until it was blasted and on a rotisserie to pull them out. Well, that's all done and still no luck. I just can't seem to get enough of a grip on them or any sort of pivot point on a prying implement to get them out. I'm hoping that someone can give me some tips on how to get these guys out.

post-24680-14150824387877_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Vise grips to the rescue! Snatch onto the short "L" part of the clip that's sticking out, and with a small hammer on the vise grips while twisting, POP!

Edited by zKars

Squirt a little WD40 or similar on them, allow to soak a couple of minutes. Tap the clip lightly to break any seal. Go back with the vise grips as suggested. Consider using a large flat blade screwdriver as leverage against the vise grip.

I think the WD-40 and a sharp rap with a hammer were the trick. Also I got a smaller pry-bar which fit in there better and I was able to rock it back and forth a bit so I could get a better grip with some vice grips. All out now...thanks guys!

• 7 years later...
34 minutes ago, adivin said:

7 year thread resurrection.  I got the clips off but still can't get the cable out from the brackets.  

Bigger hammer. Actually hammer and punch, from the front to rear, to dislodge the end straight backwards back through the hole it is sitting in. They are just rusted together. 

I’m working on this very task, except the “put it together with fresh parts” instead of the opposite that you’re doing. If you want a picture I can show you details.

• Like 1