E-Brake Cable Clip Removal - Body & Paint - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

E-Brake Cable Clip Removal

Featured Replies

Before media blast/epoxy primer, I tried to get the ebrake clips off but had no luck...figured I'd wait until it was blasted and on a rotisserie to pull them out. Well, that's all done and still no luck. I just can't seem to get enough of a grip on them or any sort of pivot point on a prying implement to get them out. I'm hoping that someone can give me some tips on how to get these guys out.

post-24680-14150824387877_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Vise grips to the rescue! Snatch onto the short "L" part of the clip that's sticking out, and with a small hammer on the vise grips while twisting, POP!

Edited by zKars

  • Author

I gave a very similar method a try on the bottom clip (you can see where it's been banged up a bit). I'll give it another go, but that method didn't show much success.

Squirt a little WD40 or similar on them, allow to soak a couple of minutes. Tap the clip lightly to break any seal. Go back with the vise grips as suggested. Consider using a large flat blade screwdriver as leverage against the vise grip.

  • Author
Squirt a little WD40 or similar on them, allow to soak a couple of minutes. Tap the clip lightly to break any seal. Go back with the vise grips as suggested. Consider using a large flat blade screwdriver as leverage against the vise grip.

I think the WD-40 and a sharp rap with a hammer were the trick. Also I got a smaller pry-bar which fit in there better and I was able to rock it back and forth a bit so I could get a better grip with some vice grips. All out now...thanks guys!

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I used PB Blaster, let soak, tap them back and forth. More PB Blaster, then with a full curve claw hammer, hook under the the "L" part of the clip and lever on the bracket. They will slid right off.

  • 7 years later...

7 year thread resurrection.  I got the clips off but still can't get the cable out from the brackets.  

34 minutes ago, adivin said:

7 year thread resurrection.  I got the clips off but still can't get the cable out from the brackets.  

Bigger hammer. Actually hammer and punch, from the front to rear, to dislodge the end straight backwards back through the hole it is sitting in. They are just rusted together. 

I’m working on this very task, except the “put it together with fresh parts” instead of the opposite that you’re doing. If you want a picture I can show you details.

There is no way I can do this with the driveshaft and exhaust in place.  I can't get to the square nuts or the cotter pin.

I actually have this set of pry bars and it's what I used.  Good call.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.