IGNORED

New Gland Nut Refuses To Screw On

Hardway

Hardway, Good pic. Certainly appears that the gland nut is down as far as it's gonna go and there isn't anything to be gained by working on the threads anymore. I'm with Zed Head in that it's weird that one side tightens up but the other won't.

I'm guessing from the responses from others that this is a common occurrence that has been run into before? I personally haven't had this problem... When I've done inserts, thankfully they all tightened up like they should. It's not like I've done a lot of them though!

My suspicion is that since Datsun never intended those tubes to house an insert in the first place, we should consider ourselves lucky that they work as well as they do and the occasional spacer here and there is a small nuisance?

Thank you for all the replies guys. Most KYB struts include a tall and a short gland nut. My Z had KYB struts on it and used the short gland nuts so I did the same when I installed the new ones. Good call Beermanpete on putting the washer in the bottom. One washer or at the most 2 would do it for sure.

EuroDat... of the spindle pin saga. They still haunt me to this day.

You make a great point Captain. We should be thankful the aftermarket came up with a product that is a good work around from the factory setup. Having to make up 1/8 of an inch on one strut is definitely not the end of the world in my book. This issue will come to pass and soon the Z will be back on the ground and ready for the road.

Good news! I dropped 2 washers in the bottom, put the strut in, screwed the gland nut on and it is done. It is showing about a half of a thread and snug. I could have probably gotten away with just one washer but I would have hated to use just one and then find that it was not enough once I put it back together. I cleaned up the tube and sanded down the jaw marks from the vise at the shop I took it to and now letting it dry with some fresh paint on it.

Thank you everyone for all your replies and advice in helping me get through this!

• 1 year later...