IGNORED

First time ever, My car just died

I liked the flexibility the mallory gave me for my timing advance Diszead. I even went through the trouble to get an OEM one recurved prior to my Datsun Spirit Build. It never failed me. My OEM one, never failed me. I have not been let down by my OEM stuff. But I have always been in search of the ability to do further tuning to suit my engines needs.

I am a believer in stock parts. But I like the flexibility of aftermarket stuff.

Edited by Zedyone_kenobi

Okay, my Mallory ignition module came in as did my Mallory ignition module protector box that Mike W talked about above. So kind of them to sell a part to protect their other crappy part. :)

I will get them on today. I am taking off half a day to get the Z running and then I am going to an unveiling at the local Porsche of Houston of the new redesigned Cayman ! Hoping for a test drive.

Okay, my Mallory ignition module came in as did my Mallory ignition module protector box that Mike W talked about above. So kind of them to sell a part to protect their other crappy part. :)

I will get them on today. I am taking off half a day to get the Z running and then I am going to an unveiling at the local Porsche of Houston of the new redesigned Cayman ! Hoping for a test drive.

Maybe you better be careful what you hope for. I hear the new Cayman is like crack. Addictive the first use... Just warning you Steve...

It happened to me also, luckily, I was 100 yds away from my house (after a 300 mi trip!)

To check the optical trigger inside the dizzy, make sure to use the cap to block the beam. I've tried with a credit card and the signal went thru at first leading me to a wrong root cause analysis.

I had a Mallory Hyfire 6AL box. This is what has fried on my setup.

post-15411-14150823943538_thumb.jpg

I found out later that Coil resistance is a major item to check. However, if you run only a dizzy with no additional box, coil with 1.5Ohm should be fine.

Amazing... My Unilite has been running fine for 35+ years now. Maybe Mallory is buying cheap parts from suppliers in SEA now.. I switched to the Unilite because I got tired of having the Points wear slighty out of spec - then having the engine pop, spudder and break-up on a hard launch or above 5500 RPM.

The only time my Z stopped dead - and refused to restart - was when the insulation on a wire from the Points wore off - and grounded the wire on the inside of the distributor. Nissan later added additional protective insulation to that wire..

Hope you get it sorted out..

FWIW,

Carl B.

I just had those crappy caps with electrolyte from china show up in a friend's PC that he bought 4 years ago....I thought that game ended 10 years ago. Look for bulging tops and brown leaking.

Just had some glass chipping in the cupboard when storing food storage containers on top of each other...also made in China.

The crap coming out of that country is destroying confidence and is probably killing people....what if a cap in your distributor was the cause and it went out when passing a tractor trailer in a tight spot.

post-7641-14150823946082_thumb.jpg

Update. In 12 minutes I had the new ignition module installed. It was kind of Mallory to put that piece of crap on top where it can be easily serviced. Well the car fired right up immediately and settled to a smooth idle like nothing ever happened. I also installed the Mallory protection box inline with it, and started the car again just to be sure. Yup still works. NO warnings on if the ignition module protector box needs protecting yet!

Cone dodger, the new Cayman is positively georgous. It truely looks like nothing else (except the Boxster of course). The back end treatment really made the car absolutely perfect. It looks and reminds me of the Porsches of old.

I will make a prediction here. I think Porsche is going to move the 911 up to a GT type of car soon, and the Cayman will be its new hot shoe.

Purchased the same Mallory Unilite on recommendation & module went bad In < 6 Mo driving. My understanding is that a significant portion of these distributers are now Manufactured in China & after inspecting the inards of my Mallory I can well believe that. Luckily(?) my module decided to go bad during the process of re-curving (I was swopping springs) - since discovered the modules are notoriously susceptible to eos/esd type issues. As i was planing more work on the Dizzy (= more handling of the unit) , I decided to go down the re-conditioned 280ZX route & purchased a recurved unit from a shop in ORE recommended by the guy's at Ztherapy. Find I can run with more advance (w/o pinging) than the Mallory stock setup - 19 idle, 36 total v previous 8 idle 28 total.

Well the beauty of the Mallory is you can recurve it at home with a simple recurve kit. It is infinitely variable. That is if you can keep it working.

MSD needs to step up and make a better system.

Or we can all just step up our game and go to a crank trigger and call it a day.