IGNORED

Genuine PS30-SB 'Fairlady Z432-R' refresh story in Gallery

HS30-H

Alan,

I have a question about this race option plug wire and fittings, were these featuring applied on the #68 Z432-R too?

Nissan R382 (1969 Japan grandprix winner) has got the special wire rubber cap and valve cover modify to prevent falling off wire due vibration.

A well known shop in Tokyo, Victory 50 has been doing this modification on S20 engine for the customers who want racing feelings.

Hi Kats,

Yes, Nissan were using the metal plug cap retainers on the works PGC10 and KPGC10 Skyline GT-R race cars too. They are simpler than the version seen on the GRX V12 engine I think.

Distributor cap cover was rubber, and primarily intended to keep out rain water.

Actually, even though Victory 50 are selling the plug cap retainers, I believe they were reproduced by a good friend of Matsui san ( NP35 ).

Cheers,

Alan T.

post-2116-14150822475687_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150822475941_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150822476188_thumb.jpg

Excellent conversation! So many things I want to comment about. Notice the time frame of racing development between Japan and what became in America so many months later. The pages you posted ,Kats, are very interesting and I can look up the part numbers in my catalog. My catalog does not show an expansion tank for the fuel system!? The fuel vent is similar to what I have on 26th and 27th.

Great pictures of details I have never seen before! Wonderful!

post-4148-14150822477655_thumb.jpg

My catalog does not show an expansion tank for the fuel system!? The fuel vent is similar to what I have on 26th and 27th.

Chris,

The explanation is that the Parts Catalog lists and illustrates the stock parts for the PZR, and the PZR didn't have the expansion tank as a stock part.

The 'Race & Rally Manual' for the PZR ( which is sometimes called the 'Yellow Book' ) shows owners how to modify their PZR for competition use, using many parts from the Sports Options list but also from other models ( including the PGC10 Skyline GT-R ).

Please see below a scan of the back page of the Sports Options booklet for the PZR, and a close-up of the 'Reservoir Tank'. This was actually used as a kind of sub-tank / swirl pot in the race prep of the car, holding an amount of fuel drawn from the tank and pumping that up to the carbs. It helped to avoid fuel starvation due to slosh in that 100 litre main tank.

The part numbers are actually different in the 'Yellow Book' and the Sports Options list, and the illustration in the Sports Options list looks a little different to the stock vapour tank, and it may have been the case that both were used. But I think the vapour recovery tank you see on your cars was very similar ( although it had more hose connections ), and I've seen these vapour recovery tank used as a sub-tank in this way. Main reason is that it's a lovely purpose-built snug fit in that right inner quarter area, and is fuel safe.

Alan T.

post-2116-14150822478288_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150822478493_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150822478666_thumb.jpg

I noticed, the "17350-E7201.... TANK-reservoir" is listed as being optional for the "PB" model in the 1970 S30 - PS30 parts catalog although it is not shown in the illustration nor is it listed in the "OPTION PARTS" appendage.

*Just a note for those who are not confused enough already. "PB" is the model designation used in the 1970 parts catalog. "PZR" can be considered to be synonymous. Correct me if I'm wrong because I don't know what the reason was for the model designation/acronym change.

EDIT: This part can be seen illustrated in the HS30 Sports Option Catalog dated Dec/'73. on page 6.

post-12938-14150822481571_thumb.jpg

post-12938-14150822481948_thumb.jpg

Edited by geezer
added info

Just a final thought about the reservoir tank. During the same time period of this "special build", it doesn't appear that the reservoir tanks were simply re-purposed from other models by Nissan. If they were, wouldn't it seem likely that the HLS30 US version would have been used, since it was already designed to fit inside the right quarter location? I think in later years some improvising may have been done by the owners to mimic what wasn't ordered as "optional" equipment from the get-go, whether ordered from the Sports Option Catalog or substituted tanks that were meant for other models.. That would explain the two different part numbers in the publications at the time.

Edited by geezer

Alan, thank you for the answer, I am now very interested in having the plug cap modification!

Hi Chris,I am happy you enjoyed the video:)

Her Majesty and The Princess lend the front white windshield and fuel filler lid knob for Z432-R. Their parts number have E4600, this number means export model.

( Fairlady Z parts catalog issued 1972 listed E4602 for the knob, but I think earliest Z432-R would have E4600 which sits in vertical style.I have a March 1970 Fairlady catalog,but it does not list parts for Z432-R at all )

In Japan, the knob can be sold very high price because many owners wants "Z432-R look" .

Hi geezer, thank you for inputs about expansion tank. After reading your comments, I more tend to think this part could be used for PZR too.

Same time I want to see the "half cut " version of the tank, I thought its picture was just trimmed due to limited space of the catalog, but thinking about racing, everything are aimed to be small and light, so the tank E4600 could be cut half.

kats

post-3193-14150822482624_thumb.jpg

Edited by kats

...I have a March 1970 Fairlady catalog,but it does not list parts for Z432-R at all...

...Hi geezer, thank you for inputs about expansion tank. After reading your comments, I more tend to think this part could be used for PZR too...

Hi Kats- The copy I have is dated March 71 and doesn't include many PZR parts but the parts that are shown are labeled as model designation PB. Compare the pages below to the pages Chris posted covering the 100L fuel tank. Note the model designated, then look at page 37-7 and you will see part number 17350-E7201 shown to be optional but definitely listed as being available at the time of the build and only used for model PB.

PB=PZR

Also note that a reservoir tank doesn't serve the same purpose as an expansion tank and Nissan labeled them as such.

post-12938-14150822484398_thumb.jpg

post-12938-14150822484761_thumb.jpg

post-12938-14150822485131_thumb.jpg

Edited by geezer

My book doesn't have a part listing for the reservoir. Even optional. Huh? In my book, the designation is PZ and PZR for the 432 and 432-R. In most cases, the part application is listed as "ALL" but in many instances specific models are listed for the application. I asked some threads ago about the applications across model variants with the PZR, but I see that in those instances, the application should have been noted as "ALL".

Here is one I would like to know about. What is different about the differential cross member 55450-E4200 or E4201 'member comp - differential mounting rear'? I am noticing that the 432-R came with different suspension springs and an 18mm rear sway bar? How about the steering gear ratios? Were they quicker?

My book doesn't have a part listing for the reservoir...

The PZR build was complete by the time your catalog was printed and as Alan has pointed out an alternate tank was listed in the Sports Option Catalog. The tank shown in the "Yellow Book", may be part number 17350-E7201. I'm sure Alan will let us know.

Only a few PB/PZR parts were listed in the Fairlady catalogs. More than likely because the build was so very limited and deemed by those who made the decisions not necessary to include, even before the drawings came off the sketch pads. It must have taken considerable time to draw those beautiful illustrations that they seem to have been teasing us with.

Edited by geezer

Very nice pictures, Takeuchi-san! I like the car set on a frame gauge for welding work. Very high quality!

There are several sources for various body panel pressings, granny. I did pretty much the same thing to 26th (just partial rockers). I got my panels from tabcobodyparts.com.

Edited by 26th-Z
Speeling