IGNORED

240z Inspection Light Source?

ksbeta

Here is a picture of mine before painted gold and then after the Caswell Zinc Plating and copy cad.

post-13827-1415082266043_thumb.jpg

A note - make sure you get a big enough rectifier like this one 5 Amp Constant Current Rectifier - Power Supplies / Rectifiers - Electroplating & Anodizing - Caswell Inc. You need to do at least 8 to 10 square inches at a time sometimes. I got the smaller on and had to double dip as in top and then bottom of the large piece on the light.

ksbeta,

Thanks! In looking at the 3 can spray spray option I stumbled across another that is a single can that Eastman Chemical Company - The results of insight? sells, on the reviews, some liked it some not:

(I don't work for Eastman nor do I know anyone who works there etc)

Silver Cad Aerosol 12 oz

Item #10022 Z

In Stock - Ready to Ship Today

Only $14.99

Buy 3 or more for $14.49 each and save 4%

Spray-on the realistic look of silver cadmium plating

It's not plain old silver paint...Silver Cad Aerosol faithfully replicates the special bluish-silver tint of the original cadmium plating used on many engine and transmission parts.

•Restore underhood and under-car components

•Acrylic lacquer

•Withstands up to 250 degreesF

•Can covers about 6 sq. ft.

Edited by Mikes Z car

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Picked up this little guy off Ebay. It was listed as restored and I would agree with that about 95% The metal and finish looks great but the switch is original as well as the lens. They are are in good shape but not great and not "restored" However for $29 shipped I could not pass it up. With these now being NLA from Nissan I think we may see more of them pop up like this. Thoughts?

hoodlight01.jpg

hoodlight02.jpg

I managed to buy one from my local Nissan dealer in December. He had a lot of trouble finding it. I moulded a lens for my old inspection light to see how it would look. Its clear and doesnt have the milky original look, but its also a good alternative if the rest of the light is servicable.

Here are some photos of the lens I moulded out of PU resin. I was a little impatient and removed it before it fully cured, but it came out very close to original shape and size.

How would it look with a light coating of off white spray paint applied to the inside of the lens?

Dennis

How would it look with a light coating of off white spray paint applied to the inside of the lens?

Dennis

I will try to experiment with some white paint. It would be better to spray the inner part of the mould and let the resin bond to it. It would need to be a very light coat though and getting it even may be a challenge. White dye in the resin is also an option.