IGNORED

Reproduction S30 parts NLA.......

9teen7t240z

UPDATE to my UPDATED UPDATES:

I wanted to give everyone who has participated in this thread (and even those of you who have "lurked" the thread) an update on production plans for some of the pieces that we are working on. Currently, the following pieces are either undergoing active moulding and tooling production or are in the preliminary engineering process:

1. 240Z tail light center strips

2. 260/280z tail light bezels (surrounds)

3. 240z AM Radio faceplate

4. 240z-280z AM/FM Radio faceplates

5. Knobs for the radio faceplates

6. Series 1 inspection lid clips

7. 240z gear shift pattern (4 spd.)

8. 260/280z gear shift pattern (5 spd.)

9. 240z series 1 ashtray and fusebox cover

10. 240z choke plate

11. 240z coin box

12. 240z plastic seat guards (bolsters)

Pricing is being finalized for these parts as we speak. However, the pricing will be influenced significantly by the number of pieces that are run during the initial production cycle. Accordingly, I'd like to find a practical way to guage just how much interest there is for these parts before making some large initial tooling investment in some of them. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can "poll" the community to get some measure of the amount of interest there may be in these parts?

Also, if anyone has any final recommendations for PLASTIC parts that need to be reproduced, I'm all ears. I still intend to source many of the non-plastic pieces for reproduction in the near future, but I am already working with a plastics manufacturing firm so I'm going to complete phase 1 with plastic parts only. Thanks again for your valued input.

Mike R.

Rear Shock Tower Covers - NLA and now seeing "asking" prices of $50.00 each for NOS

240Z-280Z AM/FM radio face plates are different and not interchangable

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl,

Thanks for the head's up on the rear shock tower covers. Did Datsun use the same design throughout the s30 line, or were there changes in these parts beween various models? I have a set of nice ones from my 240z that i could send as samples, but would like to confirm in advance whether I'd need any from the 280Z's as well.

Also, do you have an idea as to when Datsun changed the radio faceplates for the AM/FM radios? And, would it be safe to assume that there would be more demand for the ones used on the 280Z than for the 240z?

Thanks, Carl.

Mike the shock tower covers on a 11/75 - 76 - 280 cover the seat belt take up real for the shoulder strap. I am not sure how early they started or if they go to the 77 - 78 model.

post-13827-14150824445905_thumb.jpg

Carl,

Thanks for the head's up on the rear shock tower covers. Did Datsun use the same design throughout the s30 line, or were there changes in these parts beween various models?

I'm pretty sure that the round snap-on covers were only used on the 240Z. Different style were used on the 260Z. Don't know about all the 280Z's - but they did not use the 240Z type.

Also, do you have an idea as to when Datsun changed the radio faceplates for the AM/FM radios?

Yes they changed with the 260Z and were used in the 75/76 280Z. Then they chaged again I believe for 77/78.

And, would it be safe to assume that there would be more demand for the ones used on the 280Z than for the 240z?

I don't know about the demad for the 260Z/280Z, but there seems to be plenty of them out there in pretty good condition. - but I do know that it is pretty hard to find any good 240Z radio face plates - that could be used in a proper restoration. The screw holes have been broken in most - or they have been cut/modified for newer radios to be installed.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Mike the shock tower covers on a 11/75 - 76 - 280 cover the seat belt take up real for the shoulder strap. I am not sure how early they started or if they go to the 77 - 78 model.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63812[/ATTACH]

Michael,

Thanks for the information. Funny.....I once owned a 280z black pearl and totally forgot that the shock tower caps were completely different for the later s30's. It's been said that if you ask a stupid question, you get a stupid answer. But you and Carl provided intelligent answers to my stupid question:P

Thanks again to both of you:)

Mike

UPDATE to my UPDATED UPDATES:

I wanted to give everyone who has participated in this thread (and even those of you who have "lurked" the thread) an update on production plans for some of the pieces that we are working on. Currently, the following pieces are either undergoing active moulding and tooling production or are in the preliminary engineering process:

1. 240Z tail light center strips

2. 260/280z tail light bezels (surrounds)

3. 240z AM Radio faceplate

4. 240z-280z AM/FM Radio faceplates

5. Knobs for the radio faceplates

6. Series 1 inspection lid clips

7. 240z gear shift pattern (4 spd.)

8. 260/280z gear shift pattern (5 spd.)

9. 240z series 1 ashtray and fusebox cover

10. 240z choke plate

11. 240z coin box

12. 240z plastic seat guards (bolsters)

Pricing is being finalized for these parts as we speak. However, the pricing will be influenced significantly by the number of pieces that are run during the initial production cycle. Accordingly, I'd like to find a practical way to guage just how much interest there is for these parts before making some large initial tooling investment in some of them. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can "poll" the community to get some measure of the amount of interest there may be in these parts?

Also, if anyone has any final recommendations for PLASTIC parts that need to be reproduced, I'm all ears. I still intend to source many of the non-plastic pieces for reproduction in the near future, but I am already working with a plastics manufacturing firm so I'm going to complete phase 1 with plastic parts only. Thanks again for your valued input.

Mike R.

It appears as though others are also planning to manufacture new 240z tail light bezels. As noted by one of the frequent posters with the CZCC, competition benefits everyone (with the notable exception of those who produce the parts:)). Having said that, I did want to let everyone know that our parts WILL have the mounting posts included on them, as originally designed by Datsun. Will keep everyone posted on availability dates.

Thanks again for everyone's input into this venture:)

Mike

I don't believe they are plastic but they night be? The seat slide lever has a black cover over the end of the rod. I see many seats that the covers are damaged or missing. Don't know about availability or a work around. Just throwing it out there Should be cheap to make.

great products!

I love when someone actually invest money and time to keep Z car alive!.

To help you out, I have some info for you.

1. Tail lamp chrome: we are releasing chrome strips by itself soon. Our chrome strips fits right into factory lense. US and Euro lamp assembly is on sale already.

2. Series 1 ash tray is made out of bakelite to resist againt heat from cigarette.

Also comes in early type and late type.

3. Series 1 inspection lid clips are already reproduced by someone.

4. 4 speed and 5 speed knob crest is already reproduced in US and Japan.

I urge you to reproduce things that other people are not making, so that you can invest your money to reproduce more items for Z community.

Edited by esprist

great products!

I love when someone actually invest money and time to keep Z car alive!.

To help you out, I have some info for you.

1. Tail lamp chrome: we are releasing chrome strips by itself soon. Our chrome strips fits right into factory lense. US and Euro lamp assembly is on sale already.

2. Series 1 ash tray is made out of bakelite to resist againt heat from cigarette.

Also comes in early type and late type.

3. Series 1 inspection lid clips are already reproduced by someone.

4. 4 speed and 5 speed knob crest is already reproduced in US and Japan.

I urge you to reproduce things that other people are not making, so that you can invest your money to reproduce more items for Z community.

Jay,

Given the very dynamic nature of specialty parts reproductions, limiting one's commitment to reproduce only those items that nobody else is making would tend to be a very expensive exercise in futility. I have researched the marketplace extensively and have learned one thing for certain......parts that may not be available today are sometimes offered by multiple suppliers tomorrow.( the previously mentioned chrome tail light strips are a perfect example of this.....you and I aren't the only businesses that will be making these) Anyway, as mentioned by others......a little competition benefits everyone in the long run:)

Mike

I'm new at the restoration thing but am in need of the rubber bumper covers and end caps for my '75 280Z front bumper. NVM....I found some on one of the supplier websites......way expensive.

Edited by redondozee