IGNORED

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

JDMjunkies.ch

3 hours ago, munters said:

Hello Nils

This Paper was written for the Original owner of this paper (the handwritten name you took at least off on top of the first page).

He did not publish it but gave the original to me.

I made a pdf and gave it to you without asking him if i am allowd to. (I have to live with that.)

But publishing it and putt your www. JDMJunkies . ch on it without asking me is wrong!

I can not allow you to keep it online without the permission of the original owner.

Thanks

Marcel

Link removed. see posts and PN on my blog and other threads for comments ;)

• 4 weeks later...

It has been a while, i know. I'm still working on a few big things which need their time but you'll see :) But i have some good news:
1) I had my original 5-speed transmission checked by a Pro. Aside from new seals and stuff it seems to be in outstanding condition and doesn't need a big rebuild. I'll keep the original one and sell the spare S14 transmission i secured a while ago. But don't ask me i already have a buyer :)

2) I got an update from the bodyshop on friday and hopefully more will follow soon :)
- The sandblasted and primered Battery tray got welded back in again (not completed yet):
whatsapp-image-2016-09-16-at-17-28-25-kopie

And the finished area of the car got coated to be proteced from rust.
whatsapp-image-2016-09-16-at-17-28-48-kopie

• Like 1

I hate visiting my bodyshop guy because everytime i go there he reveals some more rust he found. But then again i love it because the work he does is clearle a work of art not many people in the world can do... But let's start from the beginning of t his week. He finally started to work on my car again and kept updating me with whatsapp messages about every step he did. Well most of them were more problems discovered:
whatsapp-image-2016-09-20-at-21-03-16-kopie

Dents and cheap-arse unqualified rust-repairs everywhere.  Here's a closer look at the right rear corner. seems like it got a hit at some point:
whatsapp-image-2016-09-20-at-21-03-14-kopie

He asked me to bring the rear lower corner valances and the rear panel today so he could prepare the rest of the repair and when i arrived there i was greeted by this. Jup- not much of the original car left :)
p1180097-kopie

But the good news is as you look closer the dents in the rear area right from the taillights have been fixed and the area below the trunk lid has been fixed as well:
p1180098-kopie

This was the patch panel he cutout below the gas lid:  
whatsapp-image-2016-09-21-at-19-11-08-kopie

Here the custom panel is welded in. We tried to install the gas-lid today and it fit perfectly. Quite impressive for a custom-made piece! I made even more pictures but for some reason my camera lost them
whatsapp-image-2016-09-21-at-19-11-09-kopie

Expecting big updates soon but as you look close you see there are still a ton of details to be fixed...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

On Thursday i was finally able to pick up the NOS rear quarter panel, which i found online a few weeks ago. I wanted to thank the guys from http://www.swissconnection.us/ for their superior shipping service and the seller of this item for his great support. Thanks!
p1180104-kopie

Unfortunately it got a slight dent during shipping, but still a lot easier to fix compared to creating this complete panel from scratch and sheet metal :)
p1180107-kopie

You can still see the sticker of the original Nissan Spareparts delivery back in the day:
p1180105-kopie

Beautiful to see all these original welds and shapes. I guess my Car is reaching Concours level soon with all these originanal bodypanels beeing put together :)
p1180111-kopie

Oh and then i got this from Japan. I asked hayashi to reprint an old catalogue for me with all the NLA Fairlady parts. they agreed but unfortunately we probably got lost in translation a bit and they sent me a new catalogue istead. well who cares still nice to have a new Hayashi catalogue :)
p1180116-kopie

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So here we go again. Last week i visited the Bodyshop to bring him the rear quarter panel as a reference for the other side he's currently working on and while there i had a little chat with him and a look around.  The rear quarter is coming along nicely and i love when you can see the rare and pure metalwork with all the bondo and stuff gone. It proves that the car is in brilliant shape after work is done :)
p1180117-kopie

As you can see he also started work on the rear end. The bent rear lower panel was gone.
p1180118-kopie

What you see here is the panel inside the rear quarter panel where the tank lock is installed. he makes a new one from scratch since the original is scrap.
p1180119-kopie

Today i got another update. He also started work on the rear upper end (lower hatch area).
img-20161020-wa0002-kopie

I thought at least that area was rust-free in my car, but iw as wrong. This is how it looked after the upper panel was removed:
img-20161020-wa0003-kopie

My panel beater immediately started to create new ones from scratch:
img-20161020-wa0001-kopie

img-20161020-wa0000-kopie

And while i write this topic just some new Whatsapp messages with Updates dropped into my phone with some detailed view of the final panel in one of the corners from the lower hatch area. Before (top panel already removed):
img-20161020-wa0009-kopie

Original panel cutout and rust protection applied:
img-20161020-wa0008-kopie

Final Panel welded in. Still needs some details but already i think this is a work of art. cant wait to see the rest done. Hoping for more updates soon :)
img-20161020-wa0007-kopie

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

While i'm working on a big, new, exciting project (I'll post about it in a few weeks or months i guess) the bodyshop keeps me updated and has some nice progress on the rear end
1) The top of the rear lower hatch Panel have been remodeled out of sheetmetal and looks absolutely stunning. Raw naked steel. I have the NOS top panel which will be added, once everything is completed.
img-20161101-wa0003-kopie

a closer look at the craftsmanship:
img-20161101-wa0005-kopie

The lock mount and upper panel mounts have been removed, sandblasted and welded back into position. the red colour is just temporary rust protection primer:
img-20161102-wa0001-kopie

On the new rear quarter panel the rear corner piece has been removed (for easier installation):
img-20161102-wa0002-kopie

And been spotwelded into the correct position:
img-20161102-wa0003-kopie

My bodyshop told me he h as some spare time at the moment and i guess there will be much progress over the next few weeks :)

• Like 2

Recently i was bidding on some bigger parts on yahoo auctions in Japan and thought, while at it, why not order some smaller parts and get them shipped for free in the same package? unfortunately i didn't win the auctions on the bigger parts so i just ended up with the small bits and pieces. which are still good to have :)
1) R180 Differential oil seals
p1180128-kopie

2) R180 differentil cover seal
p1180129-kopie

3) Fine auto japan Polyurethane shifter bushings:
p1180127-kopie

• Like 1

Finally another part of the body which can be called "completed". My panelbeater sent me another update with the rear upper hatch panel welded back and the whole area coated in some protective primer. Without top hatch panel installed:

img-20161114-wa0008-kopie

Primered inside as well:
img-20161114-wa0009-kopie

New Top hatch panel welded back. Well done :)
img-20161114-wa0012-kopie

• Like 2

Lately i really appreciate the updates from the bodyshop. And If things go right i will visit him and my car again on monday. However here are the latest pictures i got :)
What you see here is the inner rear right quarter panel piecte between the trunk floor and the Fender. it contins the hole where the fuel filler hose goes through. As you can see the original pieces was totally rusted and he created a new one from scratch:
img-20161123-wa0002-kopie

Here it's installed test-wise:
img-20161123-wa0003-kopie

View from the outside:
img-20161123-wa0004-kopie

View from the bottom. As usual: Work of art. May look a bit rough now, but once it has some primer on it it will be like it was from factory ;)
img-20161123-wa0005-kopie

• Like 1