No reverse - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

No reverse

Featured Replies

After my car heats up, I cannot shift into reverse while the engine is running. Just grinds. I have to turn the car off, then put into reverse, and restart. If its cold, I have no issue putting the car into reverse with the engine running.

Strange that it's doin' it when hot. Otherwise these are classic symptoms of a clutch failing to disengage properly. Slave cylinder or master cylinder seals, or low clutch fluid. These are my first thoughts.

Put it in 3rd and then quickly go into reverse. That should do it. I've had that on some of my Zs.

Chuck

  • Author

Its a new slave and master cylinder. And fluid looks good in the trans.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
Its a new slave and master cylinder. And fluid looks good in the trans.

Maybe the clutch needs bleeding again. Could be air in the system.

  • Author

So, I got reverse back my adjusting the slave a little more. I think what my main issue is the length of the rod on the master. I cannot get the peddle height to the factory recommended 8.78". I am just under 6" to make the connection. Anyone know how long the rod should be on the clutch master cylinder? Regretfully, I do not have the old one to measure but didnt think they were any different.

I measured the old one from my 1976 Z, off the car, and the rod measures 3 3/4" to the end of the rod from the firewall mounting surface. Fully extended out of the bore by the internal spring. 2 5/8" fully compressed. Stroke length of 1 1/8".

The auto store cross-reference shows that they should be the same cylinder. Hope that helps.

If you disconnect the rod from the pedal at the clevis the rod should extend out to its maximum, from the internal spring, which would be the desired starting point to get maximum travel, and slave cylinder movement. Might give you a clue on how far off the pedal is from what the master cylinder needs.

  • Author

I had to extend the rod by 1". Works perfectly now. Not sure if its the manufacture or a misprint in the cross-reference book. I havent taken it out again to measure total length.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.