IGNORED

1971 240z air conditioning.

mark sexton

I know that most of you will think Im crazy but I want to add ac to my z. It is mostly stock except for headers and exhaust, along with brake and susp upgrades.When I had my z in the mid 70s the first thing I did was take off the ac. At the time I was living in SoCal and it wasnt missed. Now years later I live in south Georgia and last year bought this 71 z . It is so hot and humid a cant drive/enjoy the car during the hot summer. I have been unable to find an aftermarket or orig kit to fit my car. Motorsports had one in the past but is currently unavailable. Does anyone have any suggestions?

http://vintageair.com/

By the way, I drove my 74 to Savannah & back to the convention last year without A/C. Of course, the two guys from Toronto did too, and they were driving all over the US in addition to the trip down to the convention.

Here a search on posts for Vintage Air on this site: http://www.google.com/search?q=vintage+air+site%3Aclassiczcars.com&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GZAG_enUS455

That unit is very much like the one I just took out of our 71. It looks very period correct for the dealer added option.

It's essentially the same kit I now have in my '71 - purchased from MSA a couple years ago to replace the York compressor ARA unit that I had installed when the Z was new.

Dennis

Any of the small compact units can be made to fit. Making them work right is a different deal. I used a compact unit that has heat and air. Modified the controls to work with the dash controls and kept all the original stuff in a box in the basement. Charged it up just recently and it works great. The old Piston compressors SUCK power and just do not work well. The newer models work much better, and I did not even have to idle the car up. A fair amount of work but it could be put back to original if someone wanted to any time. I did not cut one mount to do the install. JMHO, YMMV, HTH, Richard.

I have a complete Original York setup available as well, and have the parts pulled from a recent upgrade-using a Sanden compressor. Merging the original dealer interior peices with the upgraded sande compressor gives the vintage look with actually efficient and cold AC!

Will